I get the impression from the dev blog that the distinction between “red herring” and “unimplemented puzzle” is a little blurry and should be thought of as a continuum, but I have to say I actually enjoyed wasting time on all of these things:
- Trying to figure out what to do with the Betamax tape (it had been hinted at as important for the CCTV in an earlier conversation, but then the game denied all knowledge). I eventually decided I had misremembered the relevant CCTV system, and started trying to figure out how to use it in the Hotel. That was obviously a good use of time
- The clock in the bank. Delores says it’s Chuck’s work, so I tried pretty hard to get fingerprints off the gears.
- The bloody ship in a bottle! I was convinced for a while I needed to get the ship out so I could use the bottle to carry radioactive waste to the forest in.
- I am ashamed to admit I tried to turn quite a few valves in the sewer with the wrench. And searched high and low for sewer button lubricant.
- The magic mushrooms. Basically getting a “Thanks, we’re going to go get high later” in response made me so sure there’d be some kind of spirit quest involving the convenience store. I kept checking back.