Ron declares he is working on a new Monkey Island

The composers (especially Michael Z. Land) being on board makes me so happy. It seems like they compose songs, not iMuse in the game. iMuse was so ahead of its time.

3 Likes

I hope there will be a commentary in the game. I want to know which puzzles are Ron’s and which are Dave’s :slight_smile:

I would prefer this art style,

but the art of the new game looks nice too.

2 Likes

Yeah, when they showed first images from Broken Age I was very happy that for technical reasons I couldn’t back it up on Kickstarter. Big disappointment. Sadly Return is very similar in style, just maybe less for kids.

1 Like

Ah that’s okay people make mistaken assumptions. Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Yes, it is gorgeous and I don’t think that fans would have considered it a “vintage” or “throwback” art style.

Yes that really looks nice. But I’m still happy with what we get.

Man I can’t stand all these Adventure Games/ Lucas Fan/ Monkey Island Groups on Facebook anymore.
I’m in a lot of them and they are lately all about complaining about the art style and people triyng to calm down that. One post after another ony that.
It seems everybody just wanted their personal dreamgame. I told you, a lot of the old fans will be the worst customers.

It has to be so depressing for the team and Ron to see al these. Way more people that don’t like it are expressing it online than people that actually like it. They have to post that also way more.

6 Likes

I’m observing a peculiar thing in the articles that I’ve read about Return to Monkey Island.

They almost always present the news from the perspective “another monkey island game made by Ron Gilbert” and almost never present it as “after thirty years Ron Gilbert gets a chance to complete the original Monkey Island trilogy”, which to a long-time fan like me sounds way more interesting.

Am I just one of few people who thinks that completing that story is more interesting than having Ron creating any game about Monkey Island?

Would a Ron’s sequel to, say, “Tales of Monkey Island” be equally OK for you?

4 Likes

I admit, equally ok for me.
No , maybe even better (as it would get rid of the meta plot).

I hope to change my mind after seeing the “many surprises” announced in RTMI :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree and this video that parodies that kind of MI fans summarizes the issue very well: :grin:

9 Likes

Everyone will calm down eventually…

It’s like the time Ron changed the verbs font on TWP and for a week everyone was up in arms, then everyone forgot about that once they had got used to them.

That reminds me of…

By XKCD. Source.

5 Likes

To be fair, I had the same reaction when I first saw the screenshots for CMI. I was like “what the fuck, this isn’t MI”. CMI was so different that I refused to accept it at first. But truth be told, if Ron had made the game at the time and released it in 1997 it would have been 640x480 with voice too. I didn’t even realise Elaine’s British voice was literally part of the in-joke back then (cut me a break I was 14). I’ve since grown to love CMI.

What I can’t understand is all the worry about inserting CoMI and the later games into canon.

C’mon. They are games. Great games. Some are probably the best adventure games I played. But you don’t need to squeeze them into a coherent narrative overarching all of them. It’s not like they were written with a single, great epic story in mind (probably not even MI1 & MI2, with all due respect). Trying to retcon everything doesn’t seem a good idea to me, and I doubt it can be done convincingly.

4 Likes

Here’s what I’m going to do: from now on I’m going to direct my rage at Day of the Tentacle.

That a tree has to be drawn like this still offends me after 30 years:
immagine

This style ruined the game for me, at the time. I mean, how can you draw a tree like that? It completely kills the experience. Also, that the artist is the same as Monkey 2 makes me lose faith in humanity.

1 Like

If I have understood correctly what they said in the interviews, they didn’t try to retcon everything at all.

Emily Morganti wrote: “You keep it where it’s convenient, and you ignore it where it’s convenient.”.

1 Like

I had initial reservations about art on Broken Age, CoMI, Grim Fandango, Toonstruck and I’m sure others…
Once I got into each of those games though, it’s like I just accepted the art as the look of that world through constant exposure and enjoyed them all.

In the AdventureGamers interview, there is the following photo:

Do you recognize these people? :slightly_smiling_face:

I wonder whether among them there is the person who inspired the MI1 close-up of Elaine Marley. :thinking:

1 Like

I’m forever losing my mind when people negativity critique DOTT’s art. Obviously it’s entirely subjective but the DOTT/original SnM are perfection in my eyes. I completely get where you’re coming from, though.

I loved CMI too, but it was the last monkey island game I played. I bought and started playing #4 but it didn’t resemble monkey island to me and I quit in 30 minutes. From what little we’ve seen from Return… I’ll just say that I’m hoping for a strong storyline.

6 Likes

To me, no. Tales wasn’t a Ron’s work. Good game, but not good enough.