Ron declares he is working on a new Monkey Island

My new theory is that the game starts off in third person, then Guybrush’s soul gets zapped into you, the player. The rest of the game is trying to get him out of you.

2 Likes

That sentence hides more meanings than I’m comfortable to discuss.

2 Likes

“The power of Orthodox LeChuck compels you!”

1 Like

I was thinking about the title of this discussion: “Ron declares he is working on a new Monkey Island”.

Giving the status of things, are we sure that it’s safe to assume that working on the game implies that he’ll actually relEaSe the Freakin’ THING before poeple willgo inSAne for the lack of information?!???!

Ghhhh… :triumph:

Hmf… :expressionless:

Sorry.

Herman

2 Likes

I sometimes quickly misread it as: “Ron declares war on a new Monkey Island”.

1 Like

So far there are no puzzles in RtMI, only a chicken minigame. Now he’s finished with that, Ron is starting to design the puzzles.

Yep that’s one of the continuity things I expected Ron would ignore. :stuck_out_tongue: Everyone hated the idea back in the day, and it didn’t fit with the originals at all, especially Monkey1 which has the captain’s log in it where Marley was constantly bitching on about Herman. Then again EMI isn’t a very good game at all.

1 Like

As someone who doesn’t follow video games in general, am I missing something? Is it super unusual for a game to be announced and then hear very little?

As a cinema guy and not a video game guy, things being announced and then complete / near complete silence for a long time is the norm to me.

So for me and RTMI—I know something I’m interested in is coming out eventually and if that’s six months from now and I don’t hear anything official about it until two weeks before that, it’s fine with me.

2 Likes

For a videogame at random maybe not, but people here probably got used to the backer treatment on https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/

2 Likes

Hmm, isn’t the name of the captain of the Sea Monkey unknown? Maybe you are mixing him up with the Captain of The Elaine?

Speaking of Herman Toothrot, am I the only one who initially thought that he hung the Captain of the Sea Monkey, back in TSOMI? Herman claims the guy died from an “accident” setting up a swing.

Did the Captain kill himself because he couldn’t stand Herman anymore, or was he murdered?

2 Likes

No, it’s not unusual.

What in my opinion is only a bit more unusual in this specific case is that the development seems so near to be completed that usually you would observe a little more information at this time (like at least a release quarter) or more “preparation”, like game pages being created in online shops.

Still, I wouldn’t say that it’s very unusual. We don’t know anything about agreements and internal deadlines and every project is different.

Also, this:

Thimbleweed Park fans were treated extremely well: development blog, podcasts… :stuck_out_tongue:

You can observe the same trepidation in other online Lucas-related forums as well, though. Many people can’t wait to know more about the game.

My hypothesis has always been that Herman killed him. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I’ve always presumed that the joke is that either…

1/ Herman murdered the Captain during an argument between the two (the ship’s logs reveal that they did not get along) and Herman uses the “putting up a swing” story as a cover.

or

2/ The Captain committed suicide by hanging himself (most likely to escape from the annoyance that is Herman) and Herman upon finding the body and being a crazy old coot, thinks that the Captain had just been trying to put up a swing and accidentally killed himself in the process.

If pushed, I would likely lean more towards the latter theory because it would be pretty difficult to murder somebody by hanging them from a tree, against their will, during a fight. I think if ‘Herman murdered him’ had been the joke, then it would have been communicated to the player more clearly by the body having a knife in its back and Herman saying something like “He had an accident chopping up fruit”.

3 Likes

What made me lean towards the murder is that they had a quite troubled relationship:

“Toothrot is really starting to get on my nerves. I figure it’s only a matter of time before we come to blows.”

…but that was written when they were both confined in a ship. It doesn’t necessarily imply that their relationship remained bad when they lived in Monkey Island.

I have still the impression that the two guys didn’t get along each other very well, though.

1 Like

Well… now it is the same logo as on MI2 and MI2…. and the game follows right after MI2.

So even if some things do stay the same compared to what are considered to be the two best games from the series, there are still complaints about it?

Talk about your tough crowd to please!

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No, just a 1 year subscription to Disney+ or a 1-year family pass to the Parks.

If it was murder… then Herman must clean his karma first.

Herman

Just a little resemblance around the eyes?

But it was an accident with installing a swing, right? Herman is just as innocent as Willy.

I can wait! Actually the waiting is easier and goes quicker if you don’t check for news all of the time. That’s why I don’t check in here lately or read the posts on Twitter. And it works: since then, there is a lot of progress: voice recording done, Spanish translation confirmed, Guybrush cut from the game (that should speed up a lot of the remaining work), …

I don’t know, I don’t have observed any complaint, on that blog or here. I think that some people are simply curious about what led to that decision.

Perhaps it is the combination of Wayfarer’s wording in their question to Ron and your comment here that you like the logo from Tales. I assumed that if people write about it, they care about it and perhaps may prefer the Tales logo over the older ones?
Luckily there are no actual complaints like on the in-game art-style, what I was juxtapositioning it to.
(As in angry gamer mob : we want pixel art! As in the first game! And verbs! And puzzles as in the second game! And an amiga port!! … but the logo has to be from Tales, which we hated just slightly less than Escape)

Oh, not this again. That’s not what people were being critical of. Some people simply said that they didn’t much care for the chosen art style, based upon those early screenshots (as in “I’m not really digging Rex Crowe’s artistic style”). Nobody was saying that they didn’t like the art style because it wasn’t pixel art, or saying that there needs to be verbs, or an Amiga port. That was a strawman argument made up by people who wanted to unfairly dismiss other people’s opinions.

1 Like

This. I count myself among those who love the art style, but the fact is that not everybody does, and it’s a shame that some respectful discussion about why that is can be so easily shut down. I think you can like or hate the art style and still be disappointed by how some people have conducted themselves on Ron’s blog, some of that was too far, and I do think there has been some pushback against the game we’re getting not being entirely in line with the 2013 list. Still, the ultimate point is that it’s not simply nostalgia, there are some who just aren’t sure about/ don’t like what we’ve seen so far, and that’s totally ok! We can talk about that, it’s interesting! I’m hopeful that the art will grow on people though, especially once we see a full trailer…god I hope it’s soon :grin:

1 Like

Right. Not my point. But OK.

Just to get it straight: I don’t really care what art, logo, publisher, IP owner or DRM system the thing is released with.

I only know I am looking forward to playing it whenever it is released.

No one is complaining about anything.

1 Like

@ZakPhoenixMcKracken no news from David fox in yesterday’s interview?