Sam & Max Save the World: Remastered!

At least, the Telltale games run just fine with Wine. Even those old titles known to be problematic in recent Windows versions.

I cannot find their upgrade page linked anywhere there, so here is the link for everyone who bought the game in the Telltale Games Store and wants to upgrade it which is possible through 2020-12-31 (50% for a GOG or Steam key):
https://upgrade.skunkapegames.com/

3 Likes

They updated their FAQ now, linking to that page.

1 Like

I just played the first episode and can tell they did a great job on it, my only complaint (and just to be picky about it) is that it has the same badly designed in-game logos and texts, it would have been great if they spent a day reworking those to look more like the comic books instead of that sterile design.

2 Likes

Playthrough of the first episode with the devs, talking about the game and answering questions:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/823730043

Reddit Ask me anything from just a couple of hours ago:

3 Likes

And now shit has hit the fan. The worst thing is that this will become a new playground for SJW-anti SJW people and it’s hard to have a discussion without being lumped into either group.

BTW, Monkey Island 2 remaster had one line censored as well but that didn’t make much impact.

1 Like

Which line are you talking about? They altered quite a lot of lines, actually. Much more than in Monkey Island 1 SE. A few of them fall into the censorship category, and the majority of the alterations are to avoid trade marks and song quotes. We had an extensive list on the LucasForums, which unfortunately went offline all of a sudden some years ago.

2 Likes

I wonder if most of those people would have even noticed the changes had they not been pointed out to them. People can agree or disagree with the alterations, but I think leaving bad reviews and asking for refunds is a bit much.

Maybe it’s saved somewhere on the Wayback Machine?

I was thinking of white slavers line in the end… I wasn’t aware there was more censorship. I forgot about the trade marks but that seems more understandable in a remaster

Except for the voice actor of Bosco, I certainly wouldn’t, it’s been so long since I played the original. But now I know, I think they deserve the heat. It goes into a territory of 1984 and I don’t like that. Years ago I wouldn’t know “who shot first” in Star Wars either but I think the controversy is also well deserved.

1 Like

The most obvious is that they removed all appearances of Sam & Max in Monkey Island 1 and 2 and replaced them with Green and Purple Tentacles.

Yep, I clearly remember at the end of Monkey Island 2 when Guybrush was on helium he would sing among others “Stayin Alive” by the Bee Gees with his ultra high voice (well, at least that was what we all heard in our heads at least reading those lines) and I remember finding that hilarious.

Then I wasted a lot of time trying to hear Dominic Armato to sing that line in a high pitched voice before it dawned on me that he never did precisely for that reason.

What was the reason to replace Bosco’s recordings anyway? Was the actor too greedy or anything of that sort?
I didn’t notice they changed those lines, as I don’t know them that well, but I can’t help noticing he sounds different to what he used to sound.

I still haven’t found a more extensive list of changes, yesterday they were still referring to this one post seen above.
There are about two changes per episode listed and I don’t know why some are even bothered with this. I won’t miss the lines.

That’s what Skunkape Games said during the AMA:

When we looked at re-releasing a new version of Sam & Max with our names on it, we had to decide what that meant – putting our name on a new release in 2020, something that would, for many users, be a new game they’re just discovering. We agreed the casting of Bosco isn’t something we would have done the same way now, and we had the power to change that, so that’s what we did. Some people are upset by it because they love the old performance, but we think the new performance is great, too. We believe recasting Bosco was the right thing to do and are happy with the result. Not everyone agrees, and we accept that as inevitable.

We are making sure the original releases are still available for fans who want to play the games exactly as they were in 2006-7.

3 Likes

I wonder, is the room cheat menu still available? In seasons 1 and 2, there was a key combination I don’t remember, which brought up a menu with a list of rooms to jump to.
There were at least two occasions in season two where the developers recommended to use it. One was a workaround to an accidentally dead end. And one was when they accidentally created an easter egg inaccessible by any regular means.

I remember seeing that menu, I looked up how to get there but it doesn’t even work with the current GOG version (maybe I’ll try an original TTG version later).

Since there is no gear icon in the remastered version this procedure won’t work anyway.

They took out the whole sex change dialogue, that’s not a small change. S&M is not a very important game to me so I don’t care much either for the remaster and certainly wouldn’t notice that but it’s not what is important. It’s the whole idea to censor a game which wasn’t even offensive. Who the hell gets offended when you say skinhead or call a French guy sissypants? And after that the devs lied about the changes (or forgot, if you can believe it) which pissed off people the most.

Seems like a lot of people think if things like this won’t be opposed, they will keep happening and get worse. If stuff like this gets cut can you imagine what they would do with Largo wearing women lingerie in MI2? I already saw the woke people complaining about that.

Like the dialogue where Sam is referring possibly ambiguously to “disturbed people”?

I’m a big Sam & Max fan, I just don’t care about those particular changes, which btw. have nothing to do with censorship.
If they want to change something it’s their creative decision.

Are you referring to Emily who apologised right afterwards here, or later there?

3 Likes

Yeah, like the whole dialogue. That’s a big change. You may argue it’s for the better but that’s a big change.

Nothing to do with censorship.

Oh, come on! All changes have the same theme! No controversies allowed. If you can call “sissypants” a controversy that is.

If they want to change something it’s their creative decision.

Yup, as long as they mention this stuff. And people have a right to say, we don’t like what you’re doing, which is exactly what’s happening.

Are you referring to Emily

I’m referring to all their communication, where they clearly mislead people. You can pick on wording and insist they said “yes, we changed a bunch of stuff in the spirit of political correctness” in the form of “we didn’t change a thing, all the jokes are there, maybe even funnier than you remember” but their intentions are clear.

I really don’t know what’s the problem and why you have a problem with this.

No, it’s not a big change. That’s ridiculous. (I still assume we are talking about the changes mentioned in that mentioned post.)

(btw. regarding sissypants: they said they want to fix the dialogue inconsistency, so maybe they will even change it back to sissypants… or maybe remove even more dialogue :slightly_smiling_face:)