Seguso's Adventure Game Thread

Where is the inventory?
Seriously.

Update: I have added an ordinary inventory to the game. But, like in Darkside Detective, you can only pickup stuff when it makes sense.

Old system, no longer valid: if you remember, there is basically no inventory. You combine room items cross location. you click one room object, a map pops out, you click a location, the location pops out, you click the second room object. (can sound complicated, but you can combine very few objects: most puzzles are not ā€œcombine object with objectā€, but ā€œcombine object with objectiveā€)

ā€œOlivia, Wait! Does it look safe to you to wander in this place?ā€

ā€œWhy not? Seems perfectly fine to meā€.

ā€“
Iā€™m adding new parts to the story. They meet a hero who is trying to bring a ring on top of the mountain to melt it. But ā€”as the hero is very tired and needs to eatā€” Olivia gives him a pizza dropped on the floor. The hero starts throwing up and canā€™t stop, so he gives them the ring. So the evil Zauroz will start chasing the two girls. When the girsl reach the top of the mountain, they discover itā€™s been turned into a water ski resort for rich people:

so theyā€™ll have to find another way to melt the ring.

4 Likes

Iā€™m happy to announce to my countless followers that ā€¦ the game is finished! In the sense that it can be played from start to end, with all the puzzles and dialogs in place! I just wrote the words ā€œthe endā€, so I want to celebrate! Sexy time!

:cocktail::cocktail::cocktail:

Ok, celebrations finished. What is still missing: some failure combinations, and several ā€œgreetingsā€. (Which are the short dialogs that are triggered when you change locations. Mostly it is NPCS acknowledging your current situation. They contain many jokes, so they are important. )

And then, I guess itā€™s only graphics for one year. :slight_smile: And since I am starting the graphics, Iā€™ll open a twitter account where Iā€™ll post the locations as they are finished. Yay!

As for the story and the puzzles, I am very happy with how the second part turned out. Itā€™s a lot funnier than the first. Among other things, Olivia will: meet a dragon; solve an agatha christie style mistery (the picture above is one of the locations); challenge Frank Stallone once again; climb mount doom to melt the ring; solve a Leonardo Da Vinci puzzle and discover The Golem; and find the Holy Grail! Oh, and of course thereā€™s the final challenge, against the undead pirate Gaetano Oā€™Connor.

As soon as I finish the greetings and the translation, whoever wants to play the complete game (with the placeholder graphics of course) is welcome to do it :slight_smile:

what else? The UI has changed again, and now you can pick up stuff, and have a normal inventory. And the name of the game will probably be: ā€œLittle Girl in Monsterlandā€! Take care guys! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

There may not be a million of us here, but Iā€™m rooting for you buddy! :slightly_smiling_face:

I like the way your graphics are turning outā€¦ and Iā€™m impressed by all the work you put into it!

I would love to try it out once all the graphics are done.

3 Likes

my secret isā€¦ that itā€™s not work, it is ā€œrecreationā€ :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll let you know for sure! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think Iā€™m happy with the witchā€™s characterization. Sheā€™s grumpy enough:

2 Likes

Welcome a new character, Monsieur Heracles Perrot:

3 Likes

A Seguā€™, questa me pare 'a sora Lella!

She looks like a roman restaurateur and occasional actress.

Itā€™s intended! Itā€™s exactly her! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just created the twitter account for the game: https://twitter.com/LittleGirl_inMo

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the location Iā€™m working on today.

Iā€™m starting to suspect Iā€™ve chosen a graphic style that is too expensive :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Not necessarily. I rather like the half-finished look. :wink:

1 Like

I guess a few white surfaces would not hurt, if done consistently. Though judging by some of the earlier screens, theyā€™ll be fully coloured once finished.

Personally, I think itā€™s right to do the backgrounds this way. Looking at Whispers of a Machine, I realized that I am quite fed up looking at 320x240 pixel P&C adventures, with their samey look. I miss the highly detailed and crisp images of the Daedalic games. Unforeseen Incidents was great in that regard, too, and @segusoā€™s style reminds me a bit of that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, above I left some white parts because I just wanted to be sure the overall mood works. (and to convince myself I was capable of doing itā€¦) But I want to finish colouring them all. I just canā€™t get used to partially white locationsā€¦

Yeah, me too, unless they are monkey 2 quality, which for me still beats ordinary hi-res games.

Unforeseen Incidents was great in that regard,

Yeah, I took inspiration from that when I was choosing the art style.

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Can you spot the characters in the picture? This game is starting to look like a hidden object game :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The cutscenes are going to look like this:

They are illustrations with captions. When you solve a puzzle, youā€™ll see a sequence of (static) scenes like this.

4 Likes

Now if I can nail Dracula chasing you while holding his pants, I can do anything. :slight_smile:

Or maybe notā€¦ letā€™s see what other dynamic scenes Iā€™ll have to drawā€¦

thereā€™s an eagle seizing a baby with its clawsā€¦ the Aziz brothers taking bread out of the oven and tossing it on the floor. :slight_smile: ā€¦ a mermaid swimming ā€¦ a ghost ship emergingā€¦ several other chase scenesā€¦ Oh, and Olivia riding the dragon in the finale. That will be hard to draw. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It reminds me a bit of very old games in which the background was drawn on screen in bits and pieces whenever you changed screens. It probably may be a lot of work, but if you could make all the different color layers appear in a few seconds, you could create this effect.
(Perhaps make it an option for the speed-runners)

a nice idea. I canā€™t keep intermediate version of the locations (too complicated) but I could have some white layers that cover part of the picture , in several versions that reveal progressively more. And all this separately for the black layer and the color layer.

1 Like