Strange food you should really give a try

Ouch…that price!

4 Likes

Wait after the Brexit…

btw: What happened to our idea for a delivery service “smuggle European food to the UK in an unsuspicious looking truck”?

3 Likes

I actually misread that as Brita (the water filter) at first glance. :wink:

1 Like

Well you totally Britta´d that one!

1 Like

Hm, does that say 4.5 kg on the side there? 'cause going by this price of 11,50 per kilo that’d still come to a pretty shocking €52. (Although 57 quid is… €62?)

Yep, it’s massive.

For the extra cardboard?

Cardboard’s expensive, don’t you know? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It is! :stuck_out_tongue:

grafik

Pictured: Expensive cardboard

1 Like

I’m (re)watching Chinatown, tonight.
There’s a scene in which Jack Nicholson is having lunch with John Houston. He’s been served with a plate with an entire fish, with head and all.
He makes this face: :flushed:
John Houston says something like “I hope you don’t mind if the fish is served with its head”.

Well, is it such a strange thing abroad? Here, in Italy, fish is usually served like this. In good restaurants the waiter asks if the customer wants him to prepare the fish for them, otherwise the customer has to provide by themselves.

I like the head but Americans? Hah! ;p

fish heads fish heads, eat ´em up, YUM!

:fearful:

2 Likes

Well, most of the people (me included) discard the head together with the skin, the spine and the tail.
But some open the head to get the cheeks, which are considered a gourmet food.
Not to mention that learning to clean your fish by yourself is an excellent surgery exercise.

1 Like

I have a bit of a (common, I guess) psychological thing where I find it really hard to eat something that looks like the animal it once was - like the complete fish you’re referring to. It’s pretty silly as I’m happy to eat it otherwise. It’s not a fear thing either - more that I feel guilty about it.

On that note, whitebait really freaks me out

300px-Whitebait

1 Like

Well obviously you normally don’t eat the bones or the tail, but the head has plenty of good stuff. Eyes, cheeks… :wink: At some point in the past decade it’s become more common to get rid of the head. But at any decent fishmonger you can just tell them not to do that. It’s a very similar principle to telling the baker not to slice your bread.

I’m inclined to think that’s somewhat disrespectful toward the animal. :slight_smile: Me, I’m not a vegetarian mainly for the good animal parts rather than the boring muscle meat. Udder, liver, heart… cow tongue is great. But I think what you mention is only really common for Anglo-Saxons. People from the US and the UK have a much bigger disconnect with the origins of their food than we do. Nevertheless, I find Italy very refreshing. They seem to care much more about the purity and quality of their food than us Dutch/Belgian/German people, and to be much more open about its origins.

I like things with flavor. :wink:

PS In practice I eat very vegetarian-adjacent except for some semi-regular fish.

1 Like

Yes, we’ve discussed earlier in another thread when talking about the colors of soft drinks, I’m too lazy to link it right now. In Italy there’s the perception that sometimes some food (especially in the US and partly in UK and Germany simply doesn’t look like food.

I mean, it’s conditioning. Nothing, before you try them, proves that this food

is somehow less healthy or palatable than this:

But normally, in Italy everybody would be very skeptic about the first one.
I’d personally have no doubt about what to choose.

And, of course, I find this

much more yummy than this:

So… what about you? Which one would you choose?

And… going back to the original proposal on this thread… Did anybody of you had the chance to taste mostarda?

2 Likes

What are we, babies who’ve never had food? :stuck_out_tongue: But I think that picture you posted might just be presliced ham. In that case it should be unoffensive, just lacking in quality.

It looks kind of gross (like overly sweetened fruit in sugar water) but the description is interesting. I don’t think I’ve had it.

The real meat, of course!

Spam, lovely Spam…

Is this a rhetorical question? :slight_smile: