Strange food you should really give a try

I´m the same. As for fish I mainly eat salmon and tuna and as much as I like chicken I don´t really like it when there is half the ribcage I have to remove it from.

I think the only time I have ever seen one of those pigs with apples in their mouth was in the fancy food part of Harrods.

2 Likes

Don’t you make Spanferkel regularly in Bavaria?

Funny you say that, just last week there was this grill party. But no one in my family including me like it, and they don´t look as prepared and obviously big as those in england did. They more looked like the one in The Restraurant at the end of the Universe you know the one that enjoys being eaten.

1 Like

That’s spam? I thought it looked more offensive. Iirc spam consists of generic processed animal (probably pig/pork) with some ham. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s the point. “Just lacking in quality”. Which evidence you have to state this? It’s conditioning. As far as we know, that could be the finest ham in the world, which was just processed like that.
Obviously it isn’t, though. And that’s why I say italian people is so suspicious about food which look like that. That kind of food is way too… overprocessed. Why taking the disturb of all that process, if you don’t have… something to hide? :wink: Anyway, it is unlikely to find such a product in italian supermarkets. Nobody would buy it.

Well, it could be. But, no. After all, @PiecesOfKate said she doesn’t like to see the whole fish in her plate, so I suppose she’d go for the sticks. And it is also possible that seeing the entire pork leg, with the femur sticking out and the foot at the other side could make her uncomfortable…
So it’s a legit question :blush:
Anyway it all started since Jack Nicholson in the 70es, found strange to see a whole fish in his plate, and the scene was set in the late 40es! It really made me think. Probably in Europe, after WWII, people would have eaten also the whole head, bones included.

1 Like

Yeah, my grandfather ate whole fish like it jumped from the brook directly on the table. But my mother already found it disgusting.

And in the states, after the depression was over, it was the new deal era and things were generally better than in europe at the same time.

My grandfather was in the alpine troops during WWII. He told me, as a kid, when he saved himself from starving by eating raw flesh from a dead donkey he found on the mountains.

2 Likes

Yeah, both of my grandfathers saw the soviet winter first hand. I guess you see things differently after that.

Which reminds me that I had intended to collect some WWII stories from forum members relatives since we have people from germany, england, italy, the US etc. here and it really might be interesting how much everyone knows of their family history (I still am researching, but I already know quite a lot).

1 Like

It could be really good against all expectations, but frankly that’s a bit like saying maybe tomorrow the sun won’t rise. I don’t think conditioning is the right word to use in the context of sensible probabilities. :wink:

My dad lived through the Hunger Winter as a child (Famine of '44); my granddad (mom’s side) was a forced laborer in Germany who had to walk all the way back home to Rotterdam.

My other granddad (mostly) fed my dad’s family through the hunger winter by using up all of his golden Guilders and by trading fancy wine for food with Germans. (He was head wine importer.)

This is why I will inherit a collection of all of the Canadian Gold Maple Leaf bullions from the past few decades, and I’ll probably continue it when that happens.

2 Likes

I’ve never eaten a fish with the head still attached. It feels odd to see the fish’s (fishes’?) head in the third pic, but it wouldn’t stop me from eating the fish.

Same. I don’t like chicken with bones. Often it feels like I’m doing too much work for not enough meat.

2 Likes

Ok, so in UK it shouldn’t be so common to have a fish served like that. In Italy I think in 80% of the restaurants the fish is served as a whole.

3 Likes

*covers ears* LA LA LAAA LAAAA!
Sushi :fish:

2 Likes

A talking fish, on the other hand? No. No one wants to eat that. :smirk:

2 Likes

:coffee:
:fishing_pole_and_fish:
How you doin’?
:two_hearts:

2 Likes

Why is this a thing. O_o

2 Likes

But only if he is a babelfish.

3 Likes

I started a new thread for you:

Good idea not to mix our war stories with spalmon.

5 Likes

I would, given the choice of those two. But I’d rather have something more like the first one (i.e. unprocessed fish) if I was having a proper dinner, whether out at a restaurant or cooking it at home. I would just want it filleted as opposed to left intact.

But I do love fish fingers in a sandwich for lunch.

1 Like

Really? Huh, that’s so weird. :stuck_out_tongue: