Text Version of Podcasts

Maybe add [sic] to indicate those.

1 Like

Well I considered that, but in most cases it doesnā€™t really make it any more readable. In my opinion, the use of [sic] only works if it is clear what other word should have been used. If not, you would almost have to write: [sic. Actually he meant to sayā€¦]
Either way, it the use of [sic] feels like being an English grammar teacher, each time pointing out the errors.
I would rather reserve the use of [sic] for special cases or funny lapsus (lapsi?) like the Mansion mansion.

2 Likes

I see, I guess using the [sic] for this podcasts would be akin to have a high pitched Ransome bleep. :laughing:

1 Like

I realize now I really should have started a new Topic with the podcast animation work. This thread serves the overall discussion of the text version of the podcasts, as well as the podcast animation stuff. I know Discourse allows you to move replies to a different topic/thread, but only Moderators can do that. I was thinking of asking a Moderator to help split this thread up that way (though it may be too much work, being probably almost 200 replies to move). I wondered what others think, if everyone is pretty much OK with this thread being largely highjacked from his original purpose, and now serving a dual purpose.

Why not just open up a new topic? You can leave here a short note that the discussion about the animations goes on in a different thread/topic.

Yes, thatā€™s an option either way, I just wanted to ping people on whether they agree it makes sense or if itā€™s just my over-sensitivity to organizationā€¦

No, sounds like a good plan to me. :slight_smile:

I agree. Itā€™s usually used when actual, overt mistakes are made, like typos - rather than ambiguity in what someone is saying.

Yeah. I spent years curbing that habit :expressionless:

I think it makes sense too.

And also by splitting it up, it wonā€™t be the most replied to topic any longer. The next one is probably some random-off-topic. So perhaps just create a topic with links to your videos (and perhaps the text only transcripts) and point everyone else here for the discussion on either format of the ā€œtextā€ version of the podcast.

Ooh! Curb no more, Iā€™d sayā€¦

Done! Iā€™ve moved the posts about the Wonderful Animated Podcast Projectā„¢ to the new Animated Podcasts topic.

4 Likes

Thank you!

I just started listening to these and theyā€™re great! :joy: Did you ever make a Part 3 to the Friday questions?

1 Like

As you may have noticed, @Calypso and @RonGilbert have helped us again, by creating a separate Category for ā€œPodcastsā€ discussion, which includes this topic, the new split out topic for the Animated Podcasts, and the 10 Podcast Transcripts Topics, created by @Sushi.

2 Likes

(Un)fortunately, not, because my co-worker quitted, and nobody else wanted to help me in this crazy idea of mineā€¦

I start from the autocaptions text made by YouTube. Still, it is quite a lot of work to correct the initial pass, add speakers, remove stuttering/speech patterns (you know), add punctuation, format laughs,ā€¦

Remember that my main goal in this project is to highlight the funny/interesting parts and add footnotes and links.

But I have to admit I do not spend any time on it anymoreā€¦

If there are candidates whoā€™d like to help out, we can add them to the git or send a file of one raw transcript to clean up.
Also some proofreaders to correcth my spelling errohrs are welcome (looking at you @tasse-tee and @PiecesOfKate)!

2 Likes

Do you want me to spend the time and effort in getting the TWPSMPTP TM** back on the rails?

THIS POLL IS CLOSED BECAUSE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MULTIPLE CHOICEā€¦
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN AND FILL IN THAT ONE INSTEAD

• Yes please! My life feels incomplete without it. If there was a Kickstarter, Iā€™d back it.
  • Yes please! I enjoin reading them and would like to thank you in natura (which address can I ship this shrinkwrapped C64 version of Maniac Mansion to?)
  • Yes please! I would even like to help out.
  • Yes please! But a :+1: is the most youā€™re gonna get.
  • Whatever. I donā€™t read these podcast transcripts, my hearing is fine and I donā€™t care for those ā€œinterestingā€ references.
  • Couldnā€™t care less. Nerds!

0 voters

** Thimbleweed Park Standup Meeting Podcast Transcript Projeckt

I canā€™t say my life is incomplete, but Iā€™d certainly Kickstart it, if it were possible/needed. This project is important for me, since I donā€™t have time/patience/reading comprehension skills to listen to all the podcasts.
Anyway, I canā€™t help with more than a :+1: at the moment. I wonā€™t take care of any fan project until completion of the Italian Fan Dub, and I feel Iā€™m neglecting it yet, because Iā€™m moving and in the middle of some job projects.
Given this scenario, should I click 1 or 4?

Yep, still more than happy to do that :slightly_smiling_face: whatā€™s the best process?

1 Like

I can help too! You probably donā€™t need both of us to check the same piece of text though.

:wink:

1 Like