The 2018 what are we playing thread

Cool. I don’t think I’ve read that but I’ve seen the 70’s movie quite recently.

The one with Dean Stockwell? Still need to see that one.

Yeah. It’s not good but still enjoyable : )

1 Like

I just finished playing Inside (from the makers of Limbo).

Trailer (a few small spoilers)

I thought this was a great game, and think some of you would really like it. I actually preferred it to Limbo, if anyone’s played that.

The visuals are beautiful. Nothing over-the-top or over-produced, just really good use of lighting (chiaroscuro :heart_eyes:) and drawing the eye to things. It’s all very dark and creepy.

The gameplay is quite easy, but not ‘simple’, in the sense that it is incredibly creative (I’m not going to spoil anything, but think mind control, body parts…) The puzzles are really clever and are well locked in with the story.

It’s also brilliant at letting you figure out certain techniques that you carry forward and build on, without resorting to tutorials or awkward force-feeding. I think that’s a real skill in games like these.

I highly recommend Inside if you’re after a modern adventure/puzzle game that’s a little different. The atmosphere is the best thing about it, so play in silence, without too much light :wink:

Next on my list is Dark Train, which I paid a few quid for in the Steam sale. It’s made from paper, but I hope that’s not the only highlight.

Edit: (soft spoiler) I should add that I was a bit disappointed by the ending

6 Likes

Update since I can’t edit my post anymore:

January

Finished:
The Cave
What Remains of Edith Finch
Maniac Mansion

February

Finished:
Thomas Was Alone
Midnight Scenes: Highway

March

Finished:
The Secret of Monkey Island

May

Started:
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders

July

Finished:
Inside

August

Started:
Little Nightmares

1 Like

I´m taking a game break over most of the remaining weeks of the summer. But october will be busy with Red Dead Redemption 2 (Oct. 26.) and Call Of Cthulhu (Oct. 30.) releasing within just four days!
My head is exploding already! :exploding_head:

1 Like

I’m mildly curious about that one.

Darn it, I always forget I need to install games before I can play them. Dark Train @ 21%…

PC, PS4 and XBox. Don´t know if anything else is planned beyond that. They say it will be a completely first person mystery solving game with no combat (maybe some running and hiding), and in the end you´re just driven mad. Gameplay footage looks very promising, I already have it pre ordered.

(I would so much love to stream that one, as long as it´s new for me, too! Damn shakey WLAN connection! :frowning: )

1 Like

That sounds promising. I was a bit worried it might be fighty.

1 Like
1 Like

That looks quite good. The scary bits look fun. The gameplay and controls are more modern than I’m used to but I’d give it a go. About time I get with the times :smirk:

Might be faster and more intuitive than you think. I will certainly give my impressions in late october early november (and I hope I won´t mix up any of them with that cowboy game I´ll play at the same time :upside_down_face: ).

1 Like

I played Limbo. I played the demo once and bought the full version immediately. What a great atmosphere!
I also played a little bit of the Inside demo, bit I couldn’t finish it. I have it wishlisted on all sites though.

I had the same experience playing Limbo. After starting the game, I was looking at the screen for litteraly 2 minutes, hitting Esc trying to find “start game” or a menu, and when I did discover how to start (or continue) playing, that was a real eye opener!

I also recommended Limbo to a colleague once and he now listens to the soundtrack on Spotify now and then just to relive the atmosphere.

1 Like

Yeah, it was so eerie and ominous :slightly_smiling_face: Playdead are so good at that. I hope they’ve got another game planned.

I definitely recommend it. If you get stuck I can (subtly) help. There are some tough bits but they just require a bit of perseverance.

:laughing:

Those spider bits though, frrrrr.

1 Like

That’s a great list! You got some great classic ones there. Need to upload mine.

1 Like

I’m replaying Metal Gear Acid on PSP. Driving for several hours with a bus twice a week, and this game shrinks it to a very short time.

1 Like

I’m curious to see if you ended up completing Hitchhiker’s Guide (I didn’t!)

No Man´s Sky or no No Man´s Sky? :thinking:

Pro:

• It is 18 bucks at the moment (15 when I substract the money on my account already) and said to be patched to the brim.

Contra

• It is notorious for being the most hated game since Concentration Camp Simulator.
  • Yes!
  • No!

0 voters

1 Like

Additional question. Will I like this game if I enjoyed Starflight back in the day(because I did)?

You would like to replay the original version? Then yes. It’s similar to replay Zak McKracken. (At least I’m having fun to replay those old classics that I enjoyed in my childhood.)