The 2018 what are we playing thread

The fact that I just finished the new Doom (2016) on the easiest difficulty and still got my ass kicked like a million times just goes to show how much I suck at first person shooters. People at LAN parties would probably hate me.

All valid points you have, so I’ll only leave a few general remarks.

With which they are hardly alone. With my fairly small sample size of backed projects, I see it is nearly always the same. I see the same issues at work too, where people are in stark denial of the fact that yes, this project is late, or no, these features do not make it in. I assume there must be some psychology at play that makes it hard for many people to break the bad news. Though that’s not an excuse, only my attempt at understanding a wide-spread phenomena.

Well, I’m also glad I only backed at the lowest physical tier. I should definitely be upset about not receiving a native Linux version (although that’s also not a first), but I guess it’s not worth fretting about. Might change my mind once we have universal peace, done away with all inequality and stopped eating animals. Until then there are much more important issues to be mad about … . Besides, handing random strangers money for a product that’s in the conceptual stage at best, one should count oneself lucky to receive anything at all :slight_smile:.

I think this is true. There may also be a lot of “it will get better” or “I just work some more before making an update, then it will be in a better state and everyone’s happy” thinking going on.

But this isn’t about a project of a one-person developer having to handle everything.
They have dedicated people for PR.
How could anyone think this could be a good idea, first changing rewards for worse and second not telling until the last minute? Plus also releasing another collector’s edition which contains an actual steel book and a cloth map…

Btw. latest comment from their PR manager from today was to not comment on backer rewards for now.

At least they refund Linux backers if the want as far as I know, I have to give them that.

1 Like

Thimbleweed Park TM!
Actually I never heard of Kickstarter before. I only had a vague notion of crowdfunding before, but never bothered to look into it.

That’s why it took me a FB message from David Fox to check out a KS project (by Gilbert & Winnick, no less) for my first time ever.

I have a $20 Steam credit and nothing to spend it on, because After TWP and The Cave all other adventure games look terrible. They either look overly creepy, have crappy art, or trying too hard to be funny or trendy. WOE IS ME.

1 Like

Maniac Mansion? The Witness? Or TrĂźberbrook when it comes out (due in 1967, apparently).

1 Like

Maybe the one in which I play a time travelling japanese samurai who curses a lot because he can´t keep up with modern society where beheading random people on the street because they looked at you funny is, to put it mildly, “frowned upon”? Due out whenever, because I just made that one up.

3 Likes

Trueberbrook might be OK. I’m looking forward to Octavi’s game too. The Witness looks a little lonely and boring, not a fan of 1st person. Maniac Mansion seems a little intimidating.

1 Like

grafik

Mwaaahahahaha

1 Like

Take a look at Thaumistry.

I don’t think I have the focus for a text adventure, as my attention span has been compromised by growing up with Mtv. But thanks for the suggestion anyhow.

1 Like
2 Likes

The struggle is real

2 Likes

So, when are we going to team up to make the next best adventure game ever?

1 Like

Uh, be aware: It would have heavy influences from The Simpsons and a character who speaks Japanese with a funny German accent.

1 Like

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

1 Like

A Japanese with a funny German accent makes me feel scared!

I can see why. I realised a german speaking italian with a japanese accent is like the entire WWII axis powers in one person.

Now I feel like fighting an american who speaks russian with a british accent…

1 Like

Your comment reminds me that it is about time to re-read Cryptonomicon … though I don’t recall any Russians in it.

Yeah I think the 1940s part of that story was mostly about the pacific war.