The 2019 what we are playing thread

Last week I finished Life is Strange: Before the Storm. The final “choice” was a @#$# weird non-choice that in a way summarizes the rest of the experience of the game, or at least the final episode. And yet I was in the 48 % minority with my choice. I guess because you already know the canonical choice may have been the other one, or just because it’s something you probably wouldn’t tell someone you know’s going to die soon.

This weekend I also finished the Before the Storm bonus episode. They tried perhaps a little too hard to make it heart wrenching, and some of the references (“I don’t think I could solve a real murder mystery.”) seemed a little heavy-handed. The first two episodes were very well executed. On the whole it’s still some of the better interactive narrative fiction out there, but it seemed to give in to its melodramatic teen drama genre more than Life is Strange. In short, it was more average. Ep 1 was decent, ep 2 was better, ep 3 was meh if not outward bleh (besides the D&D), bonus ep was cute.

Then there was also Darkestville Castle. An attractive but somewhat flawed MI3 clone.