Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

The 2020 what are we playing thread

Indeed. Simon 2 was one of the first games with full voiceover and the whole data had to fit on one CD. The DOTT voices sounded crappy too.

I played it back then and I hadn’t that impression. AFAIR the game was very funny. But I was young :wink: so maybe I wouldn’t say the same after replaying it. :slight_smile:

Hint: Don’t play Simon the Sorcerer 3D :wink:

Ask me again in 2029. I have both games in my GOG library, next to many others.

2 Likes

No, but I might be able to move them up the queue. You didn’t really make me want to though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t played StS2 in a long time. I did play the first one recently though and this one was still great.

It’s not that bad, but what it really needs is a speedhack. All that running around and backtracking gets old quickly.
Hm, the game uses the Unreal engine as far as I remember, so it wouldn’t be impossible to mod it…

1 Like

I really can’t remember anything about the story. :joy:

And better graphics. Even back then they looked awful.

But you have to be careful: There was at least one “event” where you had to run to several checkpoints within a given timeframe. And the “bridge” could also be a problem.

1 Like

I read how awful Simon’s character was in a review back in the day and thought naaa… I’m sure they are overreacting. Few years later I played the gama and yep… So, I haven’t played it lately but I’m sure my opinion would be even more harsh now. I remember liking Simon 1 but I bet it didn’t age gracefully as well.

I don’t agree, I still like it. He might be right about StS2 though.

And I’m sure 25 years ago I would have laughed and thought no more of it. O the innocence of youth! :smile:.

I replayed a bit of it a year or two ago and I didn’t get the same bad vibes. I don’t recall anything from the first time I played it, though.

1 Like

Hold up, this is running on the same engine as Unreal, the game’s that’s basically about fancy lighting effects?

No, Wikipedia says that Simon 3D is using the NetImmerse Engine.

1 Like

I installed Simon 1.

So first impressions:

1. 50 minute intro sequence.
  2. No QWER/ASDF/ZXCV

Didn’t get around to playing yet due to the length of the intro sequence.

1 Like

Which version are you watching playing? The “remastered” one?

Igitt! as they say in German.

I mean, look at this… there’s all kinds of filters I can enable in ScummVM if I want to. Which for the record I don’t, except for x3/x4 or whatever insofar as you can call that a filter, and the weirdest part is most of them would look better! (If still worse than no filter.)

I bought all three games[*] in March of 2018 for less than the price of one 25th anniversary edition, which was quite fortuitous as it turns out.

[*] Apparently a fourth was also on GOG for a brief spell in 2015.

2 Likes

The only good thing about the anniversary edition is that it includes the original as a “bonus”. Though I don’t quite understand why they won’t sell them separately.

But seeing that screenshot, abysmal filter notwithstanding, I have to say the interface is so much nicer than that of StS2. Whoever thought replacing the verbs with nondescript icons was a good idea was wrong.

1 Like

When I first played Indy3 on Steam a few* years ago, I was impressed with the much smoother graphics and more rounded (and accentuated drawing style than I remembered the game from playing it back when. Much like in that screenshot of StS.
It was only after I finished it and added it to launch from my native ScummVM installation (which only had X4 or so), I realised it wasn’t my memory playing tricks on me, but a super strange HD filter they (Steam) had enabled by default.
Of course I played the game once more in “pixel perfect” mode right after!

* probably over 10 years by now

1 Like

One thing I just noticed is that when the window is only about a quarter the size of my screen or less (like the screenshot appears in my forum post), the filter doesn’t look half bad. So on my phone or a Switch perhaps it might work.

It doesn’t have a simple setting switch btw?

Indy3 has simpler graphics. I imagine such a filter would work better on it. :slight_smile:

Well, I admit that I don’t like these filters at all and especially the “rounded” shapes. But maybe that is because I played the games in pixel mode first… :slight_smile:

You could also say “less bad” but to each their own. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It might have, but as I went straight for the one bundled up with ScummVM for Linux I cannot say for sure.

1 Like

Played LUNA The Shadow Dust. It’s nicely done, but in the end felt a bit unremarkable. Perhaps the decision to tell the story non-verbally, without other characters to interact with and mostly through flashbacks made it a somewhat quiet and contemplative experience.

Gameplay wise it reminds me of multiple games; a bit of Gorogoa, Myst, the Fairyland chapter from Chains of Satinav, but also parts that felt rather unique. Puzzle complexity gradually increases, and by the time they get a bit tricky the game is essentially over. Given that one cutscene remained locked after completing the game, I think there might be two different endings.

Apropos cutscenes: aside from one or two less than stellar digital effects, they are gorgeous. (Their style also reminds me of communist propaganda, though I haven’t figured out what exactly evokes that feeling. The content is something that could have come from Studio Ghibli, though. I definitely like them!)

2 Likes
Official Thimbleweed Park Forums powered by Discourse.