The 2020 what are we playing thread

Haha, you can in Deux Ex I believe (or maybe only in the sequels) and for sure in Commandos, but I can’t think of anything older in which you can. But I’m sure there’s some ancient C64 game or whatever in which you can.

Come to think of it, can you drag bodies in HL2?

But I just meant that when you talk to them they tag along to help shoot at things, but you need to pretty much hold their hands in the process. :wink:

2 Likes

It is especially difficult to get three or four people tagging along, as they all react when they’re closeby. Or perhaps there’s a limit anyway to how many bodyguards and bodyshields (yes that’s you, useless scientist) you can get to follow you.

I had a situation too where a body was blocking me dragging a box through a door. Luckily I fix the issue with a crowbar (not on the door… :neutral_face:)

2 Likes

Not fully, some open ammo rooms or whatever. :stuck_out_tongue:

In Duke3D you can kill enemies by closing the door on them, and then their remains stick to it.

2 Likes

Ok, but those where enemies, so they had it coming, with Duke being all out of bubblegum.

Eh, they’re all responsible for invading the Xen (?) world.

Edit:

Drag? Well… yes. Not in the Deus Ex & Co way though…

>:-)

A very nice effect!

Btw., it seems like PiecesOfKate is starting to play Duke3D soon!

Just finished Primordia, getting what I would reckon to be the 2nd best ending. Though I actually liked the bittersweet touch a bit more than the happy version I could have had if I had not missed picking up Crispin’s matrix. Overall I quite liked the story, and at least yesterday I found it really hard to quit, which doesn’t happen with lots of games.

Based on the achievements, there were a few things I did not manage to do, but seems like they did not have a big impact on the outcome. To me it looks like the really decisive choices all happen close to the end.

Edit: looks like it’s indeed possible to lock yourself out of an item pretty early on that is required to get the ending I got.

2 Likes

You should also read the short story that’s included with the game. :slight_smile:

I finished Life is Strange 2. Basically everything I said about episode one applies to the whole game. It’s fairly well done, but I’d say whether you liked Life is Strange isn’t really a good indicator of whether you’ll like LiS2, unless perhaps you thought the first game had way too much gameplay. Basically the only thing you do in LiS 2 is “teaching” your little brother how to behave through your “actions.” Instead of its own unique take on the genre, this game is full-on Telltale at its least interactive, except better polished, better looking, and generally without the odd desire to make the (very long) cutscenes “interactive” with annoying sudden QTEs.

I also found it difficult to accept some of the primary bad decisions taken by the protagonist. The premise of the entire Life is Strange series is questionable teenagers surrounded by questionable adults, but the beginning (i.e., the start of the entire game) and end of LiS 2 suffered the most from what simply seems too contrived even within that context.

I suppose I’ll err on the side of positive, because I’d rather see experiments like this than Call of Duty 50. But basically it’s just a movie like The Wizard. Entertaining and technically well put together, but nothing you’d really miss out on if you skipped it. That does put it well ahead of the conceptually similar A Plague Tale, because a reasonably well done animated movie is better than boring gameplay.

I played another 10 minutes or so of Half-Life. I find the game is at its worst when it’s a shooter, as opposed to claustrophobic ventilation shaft horror or puzzle/platformer. And for the puzzle/platformer stuff their main attraction is being in a shooter. I’ve also played a few levels of Duke3D and somehow I find the scripted events in that game much more engaging. And not inconsequentially, as early as level one you’re treated to the magic of mirrors. That still feels fresh af in 2020.

Yeah, I just seem to keep bringing it up. Duke3D excels at not feeling too linear (besides the keycard system) and it’s not nearly as hard to keep track of where you are as it is in Wolf3D (where everything looks the same).

I think you’re supposed to get by through crawling so it doesn’t hear you, but I found it much easier and more amusing to get by using a grenade or two and one or two strategic jumps. (I wonder how speedrunners do it, probably just one grenade aimed at the exit doorway.)

I was very disappointed the crab tentacle things were just coming out of a black hole and I couldn’t blow it up properly. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also funny are those guys coming out of the helicopter just popping into existence.

I will say this, the part of the game where you drive a little train thingy and it spirals out of control, catapulting you into a bunch of radioactive sludge, is a very Duke3D-like scene. Although radioactive waste is purple as we all know, green slime is just alien goop. HL gets the canon all wrong.

It is very telling for my play style that I cleared the whole area on foot before and then went all the way back to jump off in time.

1 Like

Incidentally, those three things you need to enable to blow up the tentacle monster are the exact same thing as getting the red, blue and yellow keycard in Duke 3D to achieve the same effect. Somehow I have a much harder time ignoring it in HL though, precisely because it’s trying to dress it up as not a contrived game mechanic. (Compare how Portal goes full on Duke 3D on that.)

Edit: oh btw @Sushi did you notice the tentacle monster was still banging on the walls after you killed it? :rofl:

No, because I haven’t killed it (yet). I wasted too many grenades that bounce of the floor of that “pit” and then made a run for it. I’ll need to reload to a point just before getting into the silo.

You don’t really need any grenades, it just goes by sound (i.e., crawl/walk and it doesn’t hear you). But you can use a grenade to distract it at opportune moments.

Borderlands 3 has been taking up most of my time, but thanks to Steam sales, I’m amassing a collection on there, so I decided to try to hack away at that backlog. I finished the Framed Collection (interesting puzzle premise though also very frustrating, especially when it introduces a particular mechanic) and am going to start the Blackwell series soon.

2 Likes

Yes, while crouching your HEV suit goes into “stealth mode”.
You can use grenades to not only make noise which will distract the tentacles from your fragile bones but also to clear the way.

That’s what I meant by my remark about speedrunning with one or two well-placed grenades. :slight_smile:

You are only a pro-player when doing it this way :crazy_face::

And since you are both there: Imagine playing something like the silo map with reversed gravity!
The tentacle are the least of your problems (really: they aren’t, because they are pecking the “floor”).

This is the first part of quadrazid’s upside-down run: https://youtu.be/s5VTWEQdVhA
A lot of precise jumps, bunny hopping, jumping onto edges of lamps and various level geometry, object boosts, mitigating fall damage using ladders and slopes etc., but especially: a lot of precise grenade boosts.

It’s incredible how far he got! (Only watch this video after beating the silo! And better not watch the next parts until you have played those yourself first.)

1 Like

These people have way too much time to spend!

I found the train level incredibly tedious, and the rocket launch was better in Duke3D. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now there’s some underwater maze… I’m probably missing some obvious clue as to where I should go.

I didn’t know there was a crossbow in Half-Life.

Have you found the exit in that very room with the crossbow?

Oh, and you haven’t even seen the upside-down version of it yet!

Btw. you are close the the end of the next upside-down part, after the “Star Wars scene” (after apprehension) you can watch this one: https://youtu.be/NBIZt8Pp31Q
(A lot of tricks with trip mines for level traversal or blocking movable objects…)