The 2020 what are we playing thread

Wow, I’m intrigued. I’m always a bit skeptical when it comes to software creation kits, and more so if they run on a console with rather limited input abilities. But that looks pretty neat already.

(My only real-world experience with similar systems was the 3D Construction Kit on the Amiga, but I found that fairly limited by the hardware, and it still required writing code for interactivity. I never got any project to a finished state with it and eventually turned to writing stuff in BASIC instead :slight_smile:.)

2 Likes

All the kids play minecraft and roblox these days anyway

You should’ve tried the version on C64… now THAT was limited hardware

2 Likes

True, with a square head, that´s of course not a problem!

One of my main issues was actually positioning the camera AND the objects in an efficient way with the PS4 controller. I guess that takes an extra level of dexterity if you wanna be real good, I´d rather have used mouse and keyboard for things like that myself.

Now check out what somebody who´s real good can do with it!

This is one of my favourites they have on there so far, but of course they regularly add new good things.

3 Likes

Fits in nicely with yours, as the peru jungle and the extended valley scene

2 Likes

Here the same! :joy:

I own the C64 version (including the video tape. :wink: ) It worked very well on the C64. You got very low FPS, but for the C64 it wasn’t that bad.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was pretty much unprecedented. I got it as either a birthday or Christmas present.
And I don’t want to imagine how it would run on a C64. What I remember from the Amiga is that you couldn’t really make large scenes with many objects. At that time I did not really think to scale back my ambitions to the limits of the program :grinning:.

Actually, I have never seen anything created with it aside from the demo that was included. At least some people must have made something worthwhile with it. Though I guess distributing that stuff would have been difficult back then.

3 Likes

Like this:

From today’s point of view it looks crappy and slooooow. But back then it had okay-ish graphics and, hey, it was 3D on a C64. :smiley:

Incentive Software created their games with it allegedly (at least the engine was the same). Including Castle Master and Total Eclipse.

3 Likes

Never heard of Castle Master, but played Total Eclipse quite a bit as it was one of the first games we got for the C64. On tape, so loading was even slower than moving around.

4 Likes

That doesn’t look too different from what you’d get on the Amiga, actually. I was kind of thinking wireframes :slight_smile:. In all likeliness, the Amiga would produce a faster slideshow, but it would still be far from being super smooth. Heck, even really slick 3D games like F1GP only ran at 8 FPS max.

1 Like

Started playing VirtuaVerse. Then gave up again.

In one word, it’s difficult. I barely managed to escape my apartment, now I’m at a loss at where to get a new lens for my AVR glasses. Well, I guess I know exactly where to get one, and I know a few of the things I might have to do in order to distract the NPC that’s hindering me from getting it, but I have absolutely no clue how to get the object I need to trade for part of the distraction. (And the game would not allow me to just hit him with the fire extinguisher, which should remove the need for any such sophistication.) Arghh!

It’s good, though. The graphics look great when in motion, the sound is wonderfully 8-bittish, and the ambience is so good I practically can feel the acid rain stinging on my skin (which makes running around outdoors, searching for that one clue even less appealing!).

If anyone else is playing and has some subtle advice, I’d be grateful. Don’t want to look up a solution just yet, so I’m back to Ace Attorney.

3 Likes

I want to rock out to some Ace Attorney tunes. \m/

2 Likes

Started playing Signs of the Sojourner, quite curious about it’s rather strange concept, and so far it does not disappoint. In part it reminds me of 80 Days, in that you travel between places and as you talk with people, new locations and routes open up on the map. Talking, however, is not selecting lines of dialogue or topics, but involves playing a sort of Dominoes with cards. That makes it sometimes tricky or impossible to get the outcome you’d want, but OTOH it will turn even the most mundane conversation into something pretty exciting.

There seem to be a decent amount of stories and mysteries sprinkled across the map, though no saying yet how repetitive additional playthroughs might get or how many it would take to uncover every little detail.

What’s really delightful, however, are the visuals. When I saw a trailer of the game I found the graphics a little peculiar, but now I’m wowed by the art style. I mean just look at those colors!

The soundtrack is also pretty good. Not as vibrant as the graphics, but it does a good job at capturing the mood of each location.

3 Likes

While I’ve still to finish the 3rd Ace Attorney game, there were a couple titles in the Steam sale that I had on the radar for a while.

The first one is the venerable Journey, which had me intrigued since it first came out for the PS3. I played that in a single sitting (it’s not that long) and am glad I finally got the chance. I guess from a pure gameplay perspective, similar offerings like Rime or AER: Memories of Old are better alternatives, but Journey is executed so brilliantly that both pale in comparison. It also has the multiplayer aspect, and while I went out of my way at first to avoid any intruder of my personal playground, the game quite naturally coerced me to cooperate with one of those random souls to make it to the end.

The next I’ve started playing is Over the Alps. That’s more of a choose your own adventure kind of narrative game (but with really concise writing), telling quite the hilarious espionage tale (though maybe that depends on the choices you make). It’s also illustrated most beautifully. I’m not yet finished, but according to their road map, Over the Alps isn’t either. A third story and some updates to gameplay mechanics are yet to come.

The last one, which I’ve yet to try, is Outer Wilds (not to be confused with Outer Worlds). Therefore not much to say about it yet, save that it is some kind of exploration game in space with puzzle elements. And, as the title implies, it’s wild :wink:!

Oh, and btw: the prologue to Signs of the Sojourner I mentioned above is available for free on GOG, in case you missed the whole thing for free on itch.

2 Likes

Which case did you play so far? (You may answer in the dedicated Ace Attorney thread)

Since my (potential) game of the summer is releasing in exactly one week from now, expect this thread to be occasionally taken to feudal japanese landscapes from then on! :japanese_ogre: :crossed_swords: :japanese_castle:

2 Likes

The physical game has already found a friend in my home!

2 Likes

Looks like he is cutting the DVD in two pieces… :grin:

1 Like

Standing in the grass

Playing the flute

Petting a fox

Mind you these are the chill enough moments where I can actually stop and take picture. The swordfights in this are NO joke!

2 Likes

New hat

Visting a shrine

Kurosawa Mode

Uh oh!

Ah, that´s better!

Tragedy

3 Likes

Yep, even Sakai-san wears his mask!

Mongol ships in the distance.

Yet another new look

Photo Mode, here in full armour.

UPDATE

A few more impressions:

And that´s it! At least for Story Mode. There is so much left to do!

1 Like