The 2022 what are we playing thread

I hope @Guga won’t take a look at Step by step — Escoria 4.0.0 documentation
Using a walk-through would be cheating!!

2 Likes

As good as completed Jennifer Wilde, were it not for a bug in the last scene that actually makes it impossible to finish. Too lazy to load a prior save and see if I just got unlucky, or if it’s a persistent glitch. And given that it’s literally the last puzzle, I guess I’m not missing out on much.

Generally, I liked the black and white comic book art style (despite not liking black and white comic books), but it also meant that beside the main character’s (somewhat stiff) walking animation and a few moving scenery objects, everything is pretty much static.

The story at times also felt like a comic book with too much plot and too few panels, especially in the beginning. Some of the exposition wasn’t really in the right order, or hinted at enough early on, and the bit where Jenni needed to rescue some pieces of paper from a burning fireplace, which necessitated a train trip to Paris and back to pull off, felt even less believable than the ability to see and talk to dead people.

The one part where the writing really shines was the dialogue, though. Made me smirk and chuckle a number of times throughout.

Puzzle wise, it mostly consisted of interacting with hotspots and NPCs in the right order, and it often hinted at what needed to be done next, even though that was fairly obvious. Despite the apparent simplicity, controls felt a bit clunky, causing me to constantly bring up the main menu when all I wanted was to close the inventory.

So overall it’s been a bit of a rough experience. I wouldn’t say it’s bad per se, but definitely a bit amateurish. Truly indie, I guess.

1 Like

Completed “Letters: a written adventure”. Charming and original, but too casual for my liking.

Completed Return to Monkey Island and I loved it!!

In terms of slashing through the backlog, I started Diablo 2.

5 Likes

I completed Return to Monkey Island, acquired a used RX 6700 XT last week, and started Senua’s Sacrifice. It’s pretty but slow to start. I just beat the first boss and that was definitely a challenge for me.