The "Death of Adventure Games"

The gist of the article seems to be that other genres evolved in the way they tell a story, while P&C adventures did not, hemming the natural flow of the narration by throwing obstacles (read, puzzles) into the way of the player. Which takes us back to this discussion.

Obviously, there seem to be a lot of people that place an emphasis on story in a game, even to the point of sacrificing actual game play (i.e. interaction) to help the story unfold its biggest potential.

Classic P&C games seem to fall into an area of the spectrum where there is a story present, but the whole point of the game are the puzzles. One might see the story as pure backdrop for the puzzles, perhaps as a motivation to play along, or even as reward for solving puzzles (if that in itself isn’t reward enough). In my view, the very best of the genre do indeed tightly integrate puzzles and story, and try to keep the story progressing at a steady pace, sometimes at the risk of becoming too easy.

The article seems to be saying that to evolve and survive, P&C adventures should place a higher emphasis on the story telling aspect. But that would, IMO, turn the game into something different. To me, a true P&C adventure is a mix of story and puzzles, and I draw satisfaction from both aspects. Before I play a game that is not at least a little bit challenging (and thus rewarding), I’d rather read a book, or go see a movie (should they ever make one again that is to my liking ;))