The "Death of Adventure Games"

Oh, yes! Look at Firewatch, Sunset, etc. There are many great adventures in the 1st person view.

But these games aren’t the classic PnC adventures I like and love. And these types of adventures haven’t evolved in the last years.

I don’t want to exclude them. :slight_smile: It’s just that for me the term “point and click” stand/stood for the third person adventures like Monkey Island. Of course you are right: These adventures are PnC adventures too.

From my perception I’ve played much more such games in 3rd person with moving characters than 1st person (2D) ones.
I wonder if this is just my selective memory because I would think producing the latter one is easier/cheaper.

Oh btw. I remembered another 1st person one I liked: Mission Supernova and Andromedas Erbe (http://outpost.simplicity.de/) which you have probably heard of.
(They are German only yet but are currently translated into English by the ScummVM team)

1 Like

I’ve played much more 3rd person adventures just because I liked them more. They were funnier and had more charming characters. The 1st person adventures were “sterile” or “empty” and had less details. It’s interesting, that many recent 1st person adventures use this “emptiness” as part of their story. For example in Sunset you are alone in a big house.

1 Like

If that was possible at all it was only in the public places. You couldn´t get in the halls under 18, and yes I noticed there they were mostly neglected because the people who had access to the halls would rather play pool or slotmachines while the kids faces where glued to the windows looking inside where the machines would show their attracts on endless repeat.

Only in germany. (For example in italy the kids could play the arcade games.)

True, now guess what my favourite pastime was on the campgrounds near Lake Garda! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know what you mean, although this isn’t something I necessarily dislike :slight_smile:

I don’t see why you can’t have a 1st person pnc adventure.

actually I’d like to play a PNC adventure like firewatch . the problem with firewatch is that in the first 40 mins I didn’t see another human being. (does someone know if they come later?)

Me too, but it depends on the story. :slight_smile: For example I didn’t like Normality at all and the less detailed graphics in Sunset “pulled” me frequently out of the story. But of course that is only my own opinion. :slight_smile:

Yes, yes, yes. As I wrote above, a PnC adventure could be 1st person too. But in my brain I associate the term “point and click” with “Monkey Island like”. So read the line above as: “If you chose the 1st person perspective you haven’t a PnC adventure like Monkey Island anymore. At the end you get something like Firewatch.”

Yes, me too. For example I enjoyed Sunset and The Novelist. But if I have to choose, I would prefer a 3rd person PnC adventure. That’s a personal thing. The 1st person games aren’t bad by default.[quote=“seguso, post:149, topic:275”]
the problem with firewatch is that in the first 40 mins I didn’t see another human being. (does someone know if they come later?)
[/quote]

That’s what I meant with “empty”. In the most 1st person adventures you are feeling alone. That’s Ok, but I don’t like to play only depressive and/or horror adventures. Does anybody knows a funny or humorous 1st person adventure?

Regarding Firewatch: Haven’t you “met” a person? If not, keep playing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe that’s because it’s so difficult to create nice faces in 3D, unless you create a AAA game. Give me a 3D game from an indie developer that provides realistic faces.
Recently, there was a shitstorm regarding the “bad” faces in Mass Effect Andromeda, which is a AAA game and actually provides quite nice faces.

I agree. But if it’s too expensive to create good faces in 3d (like. resident evil 7), what do you do? Do you make a story where you are completely alone, or do you choose a different graphic style where you can afford good faces? It seems that many indies choose to write a story where you are completely alone. this makes me suspect they did not start with a story, they started with requirements and created a story to fit them. It does not seem completely right…

2 Likes

I don’t really know anything about current AAA games but what I have seen from those are quite realistic graphics with faces which may be also more realistic but are now in the uncanny valley for me.
Maybe it’s OK after playing them a while but I think I’d prefer stylised graphics (e.g. pixelated, low-poly or TellTale like) over those (or non-human characters only).

That’s true. 3D faces can be stylized. Minecraft and the LEGO games are some successful examples for this. All characters share the same basis there. Very efficient!

But that looks even more sterile …

It depends on the level of detail. You wouldn’t need to make the game as sterile as Minecraft or LEGO. If you create a detailed basis character from which you can derive all other characters, the game can look nice.

At least not creepy…

I think that the low-poly 3D graphics of Grim Fandango were very well suited for depicting characters made of bones. In my opinion that was one of those games that demonstrated that you can use a low number of polygons to make your characters both believable and pleasant to the eye.

1 Like

Or Zombie-creepyeske…

Hehe, yes. :slight_smile:

Yes, but Grim had detailed pre-rendered backgrounds. If the game had low-poly 3D backgrounds, the characters weren’t “well suited” anymore. :slight_smile: