The most ridiculous english swear word

Yes, it is somewhat obvious - especially because “Zipfel” could mean the thing that only men have.

But in a lot of cases old dialect words have a “normal” meaning. For example the German word “geil” hasn’t the meaning you think first of (“horny”).

2 Likes

I like the word “whippersnappers” that very old people use for (in their minds) very young and inexperienced people.

4 Likes

One of my favourite episodes of The IT Crowd springs to mind :joy:

1 Like

I don’t understand, why don’t you do it yourself or don’t you have any PC?

I have the game on Switch, and consoles don’t get the DLC update.
Edit: I meant a recording of that line I mentioned in particular, not the whole game :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suppose it’s still frowned upon if you use it in a formal context, isn’t it?

We have some of those in Sardinia too. There’s “minca mia a tui” (my d*ck to you) that is an exclamation that is both a way of telling someone to f*ck off or just an exclamation for something that is exaggerated.

Actually, expressions of amazement are usually the most unconventional. We also have “cuddu cunnu” (that c*nt), “minch’e cuaddu” (horse d*ck), “ti caghi” (you sh*t yourself), and the evergreen “cunn’e tzia tua” (your aunt’s c*nt) or “cunn’e mamma tua” (your mom’s c*nt), usually with the addition of “bagassa” (the c*nt of your b*tch aunt/mom) if you’re really amazed.

We also have the exclamation “su corpu de aundi”, which is “safe for work” and literally translates to “the hit of where”. Don’t ask the non literal translation: I have no idea.

2 Likes

That depends on the situation, but yes, I wouldn’t use it in a formal context. (Maybe @milanfahrnholz can explain that a little bit further as I’m not from Bavaria. :slight_smile: )

btw: For me it seems that you use a lot of -hm- “family members” in your curses or swear words, like “mum” or “aunt” - or am I wrong? In Germany we have only very few of them. And it seems that they are in English also not very common…?

It´s no different here either. But I think it can even slip politicians in a heated argument.

1 Like

Yes, we do. I think it has to do with Italy’s strong sense of the family and the sacred figure of the mother*. In English all I can think of is “son of a b*tch”.

By the way, in Sardinian “son of a b*tch” has a slightly different meaning than in Italian. In Italian, it’s a plain insult. In Sardinia you can also say that someone is a “fill’e bagassa” also to say that he’s sly and clever. Not always an insult.

*Italians have also a lot of insults to deities. If you think about it, insults and swear words all fall into three main categories: the taboo, the sacred, the filthy. The more a topic is important, the more is used as an insult. And being the home of the Holy See, it’s of no surprise that insults to deities are the strongest insults one can use here.

2 Likes

I just made a recording of my favourite bit for you, but just realised there’s no option to upload video… Can anyone host somewhere?

2 Likes

Well there’s the mother of all curse words in English…

4 Likes

You could upload it to YouTube and set the privacy to Unlisted.

Actually I’ve saved it to my Drive, so this should work.

Watch Ransome swearing

6 Likes

Can’t wait to publish the same bit in Italian :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yep that extended “fuuuuuuuuuck” at the end is much funnier unbeeped, especially because of the slight voice crack halfway through! :joy:

2 Likes

I know, I thought the extended beep was funny but this was even better. That whole scene is my favourite - even if the bit aimed at Madame Morena is a little coarse!

Awwwww, adorable! :relaxed: That’s a slightly creepy laugh though.

Yes, many different plushies have been made over the years!

Hmm… at my work, the word “crap” isn’t a very offensive swearword, but other words are seen as being harsher (people still say them, but not as loudly). That goes for phrases with sexual connotations too.

We Brits have some funny harmless words to call someone an idiot, like “muppet” and “plonker”.

1 Like

And what’s the hat line?? :wink: (When you try to make him pick it up, I think.)

1 Like

Hm not sure. I’d guess at ‘Ahm not fuckin’ wearing that!’

Edit: that made him sound a bit Scottish.

1 Like