The official language thread

Ahahaha!!! :rofl:

Gem Boy has made a song dedicated to the ways of saying of the word ā€œcazzoā€ā€¦
Sorry, itā€™s in italian, but I can provide you the lyrics:

Lyrics (original) - EXPLICIT -

Lei non ha interesse per meā€¦
Insomma non ne vuole un cazzo!
Il mio parlare la lascia perplessaā€¦
Dice che faccio discorsi del cazzo!
Non mi darŠ° mai il suo amoreā€¦
Col cazzo che me la da!
Lei ĆØ una persona riservataā€¦
Si fa i cazzi suoi (e mai il mio)
Quale operazione sta eseguendo?
Oh ma che cazzo fai?
In quale luogo si sta recando?
Aoh! Ma dove cazzo vai?!!

Fallo, nerchia, minchia, fava, organo, randello,
membro, pene, mazza, canna, verga e uccello,
sventra-papere, spaventa-passere

siamo peggio di Cicciolina
lā€™abbiamo in bocca da sera a mattina

ā€œsai, sono ancora vergine!ā€

Mi riesce difficile crederloā€¦
Eh si sto cazzo!
Non lā€™avrei davvero mai dettoā€¦
Alla faccia del cazzo!
La risposta era scontataā€¦
E allora grazie al cazzo!
Sono stupito accidenti per Baccoā€¦
Oh cazzo! Oh cazzo! Oh cazzo!

ā€œLa sua antipatia mi induce a vedere la sua scatola cranica di forma fallicaā€
Ah testa di cazzo!

Il lavoro svolto maleā€¦
ĆØ fatto alla cazzo di cane!
La faccenda si ĆØ complicataā€¦
Allora sono cazzi amari!
Potrebbe smettere di disturbarmiā€¦
Vattene cagacazzo!
La pazienza mi ha frantumatoā€¦
Ingessami il cazzo che me lā€™hai rotto!

2 Likes

The lyrics to this song by german speaking rap group ā€œDie Fantastischen Vierā€ consist almost exlusively of three letter acronyms.

German lyrics

RD, ZDF, C&A
BRD, DDR und USA
BSE, HIV und DRK
GbR, GmbH - ihr kƶnnt mich mal
THX, VHS und FSK
RAF, LSD und FKK
DVU, AKW undKKK
RHP, USW, LMAA
PLZ, UPS und DPD
BMX, BPM und XTC
EMI, CBS und BMG
ADAC, DLRG - ojemine
EKZ, RTL und DFB
ABS, TƜV und BMW
KMH, ICE und Eschede
PVC, FCKW - isā€™nichā€™o.k.
Mfg mit freundlichen GrĆ¼ssen, die Welt liegt uns zu fĆ¼ssen
Denn wir stehen drauf, wir gehen darauf, fĆ¼r ein Leben voller Schall und Rauch
Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf
HNO, EKG und AOK
LBS, WKD und IHK
UKW, NDW und Hubert Kah
BTM, BKA, hahaha
LTU, TNT und IRA
NTV, THW und DPA
H&M, BSB und FDH
SOS, 110 - tatĆ¼tata
Said, FDJ und KDW
FAZ, BWL und FDP
EDV, IBM und www
HSV, VfB, olƩ, olƩ
ABC, DAF und OMD
TM3, A&O und AEG
TUI, UVA und UVB
THC in OCB isā€™was ich drehā€™
MfG mit freundlichen GrĆ¼ĆŸen, die Welt liegt uns zu FĆ¼ĆŸen
Denn wir stehen drauf, wir gehen drauf, fĆ¼r ein Leben voller Schall und Rauch
MfG mit freundlichen GrĆ¼ĆŸen, die Welt liegt uns zu FĆ¼ĆŸen
Denn wir stehen drauf, wir gehen drauf, fĆ¼r ein Leben voller Schall und Rauch

2 Likes

Oh, yes. Thatā€™s laziness, I think. The Dickā„¢ has always been the italian word for swearing, period. Why should you make an effort with your imagination to invent creative curses, when you can always blame the good ole dick?
Iā€™ve had the feeling that soebody in the forum considered this dick-cursing-mania a sort of dial indicating the phallocentric idea of life that italians haveā€¦
I canā€™t agree with that.

I think itā€™s a matter of respect for women, on the contrary. I mean, you can blame The Dickā„¢ but you can also blame The Cuntā„¢ in your swearingsā€¦ but that is considered much more trivial, in Italy.
The Dickā„¢ is an entity which is not so touchyā€¦ everybody feel they can blame him without hurting him.
For the same reason, we had to be very careful in translating ransome. What can be said in America couldnā€™t be said in Italy, and vice versa.
For example, I sometimes can hear old ladies who work at my workplace saying ā€œho preso unā€™inchiapettataā€, meaning they were ripped off. That saying can hardly raise some eyebrow in Italy. But its meaning would be banned in an english-speaking country. It literally means ā€œI got f**ked in the **sā€.
Conversely, I have noticed that the word ā€œbitchā€ is quite used in american movies, sometimes even addressed to male people, and sometimes even to your beloved persons.
We couldnā€™t include the word ā€œbitchā€ in the italian dub. That would be considered way too sexist and trivial. And it could give us some trouble. Itā€™s quite interesting to see what is or isnā€™t considered taboo in different cultures.

3 Likes

Gem Boyā€™s songs are very earwormyā€¦
ā€¦especially this one :sweat_smile: :laughing:

1 Like

Thatā€™s nice, because it shows other usages I forgot.

Something is ā€œof the dickā€ if it is of low value (I already covered ā€œof the dickā€ as a substitute for ā€œfuckingā€).
You mind your own dicks.
ā€œThis dickā€ is an exclamation to express skepticism. But ā€œthese dicksā€ is used to express either a positive surprise (ā€œI won the lottery!ā€ ā€œThese dicks!ā€) or total disinterest (ā€œShe left me, butā€¦ these dicksā€).
You donā€™t do things ā€œhalf assedā€, you do them ā€œin a dogā€™s dick fashionā€.
If youā€™re very annoying, youā€™re a ā€œdickshitterā€, and I have to tell you ā€œdonā€™t shit my dickā€.
And if a situation has a very bad outlook, thenā€¦ itā€™s ā€œbitter dicksā€ for you (imagine if Discobot were to say ā€œBitter dicksā€ instead of ā€œOutlook not goodā€ when asked for a fortune).

If youā€™re referring to me, I donā€™t mean that. My interpretations of the two sayings I reported (ā€œnot even for the dickā€ and ā€œdisgusting to the dickā€) are confined to the literal meaning of each saying and not ā€œglobalā€.

In fact, I also think that this fixation with dicks in swearing is not glorifying the phallus, but the opposite. In every culture, swear words fall into three categories: the taboo, the sacred and the filthy. The Dickā„¢ falls into all three :laughing:. No, seriously, it clearly falls in the filthy category. In fact, the second most-used swear word is ā€œshitā€, and in most cases is interchangeable with the dick. That doesnā€™t put dicks under a good light, does it?

3 Likes

Even in the Mansion Mansion library, thereā€™s a book containing the word ā€œcazzoā€. The title on the cover is ā€œIO SONOā€ all in capital letters, and the content is written in italian.
Did you find it?

You found it and linked it to me almost a year ago :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was a half day off and what happened to my beautiful thread? It was occupied by posts about the famous Dick Butthead! Canā€™t I left you guys unattended for five minutesā€¦? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

You should be grateful that we went ā€œin-topic off-topicā€ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes, I donā€™t think Mr D.B. needs his own thread :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

1 Like

I was listening to Tarkus from ELP and the hits were perfectly in time with the snare drum. Wonderful. And hypnotizing.

A question for the Italians: Iā€™m going to Sorrento next week. I always make an effort to speak the local language, but do they generally speak English there?

Any other tips for visiting? (Pompeii :ballot_box_with_check: Capri :ballot_box_with_check: ice-a cream-a :ballot_box_with_check:)

3 Likes

Herculaneum!

What do you want to know? Ask a local!
Iā€™ve been tons of times there, even by bike from home. :stuck_out_tongue:
They speak English in Sorrento. Quite a simple English, but in the end theyā€™ll be able to understand you, of course.
There are so much things thereā€¦ What do you want to do?
Are you more into history and architecture, swimming, sunbathing, SPA, museums, eating, hikingā€¦?

Sorrento!!! :heart_eyes: I went there on a secondary school trip many years ago. Unfortunately I canā€™t remember enough to give you advice on sightseeing, but I really liked the town.

4 Likes

Youā€™ll land in Capodichino airport (which is quite out of the city of Naples) and from there you can take a bus (or a taxi) to the city. Probably the best way to go to Sorrento is by train with CircumVesuviana at the Naples Central Railway Station. Then Iā€™ll suggest you to go to Piazza Tasso, and from there go down to the old town where there are a lot of little shops, and also your beloved chocolate covered orange peels. Going down to the sea, there are Marina Grande and Marina Piccola. In Marina Grande I suggest you to eat ā€œda Emiliaā€ a little restaurant literally on the sea, especially if you love fish. Thereā€™s plenty of good ice-cream shops also.

photo taken by me a month ago, not a shiny day, though

3 Likes

If you like hiking, there are really great trails, like the Path of Gods or the Jeranto Bay, and Vesuvius volcano itself. It is not so easy to go there, but Iā€™ll provide you infos if you like it. If you like swimming, there are also beaches, especially in Piano and Meta. Also Capo di Sorrento hosts the Pollio Felice roman house (now just an antique) with the wonderful baths of Queen Giovanna.
On the same railway track (CircumVesuviana), there are many interestig stops.

Ercolano - Herculaneum (beautiful as Pompeii, it is smaller than Pompeii, but you can see the ancient harbour.)
Torre Annunziata - Oplontis (Poppeaā€™s villa) a wonderful roman villa, one of the best preserved ever
Pompeii - wonderful, I suggest you to visit it
Piano di Sorrento (beaches and nice town)
Meta di Sorrento (quite similar)
Sorrento (see above)

Capri is a different chapter.
The island is part of an archipelago of three islands with Procida and Ischia (the ancient Pithecusa which literally means Monkey Island :stuck_out_tongue: ) in the Gulf of Naples.
You have to reach it by sea on ships that leave from Molo Beverello (quite central in Naples) or directly from Sorrento. Capri is really nice and deserves a visit. Quite chic and expensive, there are also places more vernacular where you can meet the local spirit.

2 Likes

Ooh. Is it worth going there as well as Pompeii? I read that itā€™s better preserved but much smaller.

All of those! Some tips on where to eat dinner would be good, actually.