The official language thread

A Club on a hen farm? Chicken Club Sandwich?

2 Likes

Except youā€™ve told us multiple times

2 Likes

to throw a club in the chicken coop

3 Likes

Does it means: create havoc ?

No it means to have a tasty mealā€¦of course it means to create havoc!

1 Like

I think Iā€™ve heard people here* say ā€˜put a fox among the chickensā€™. But thereā€™s a chance I made that up.

*as in the real here where I live, not this virtual forum that exists only in my head.

Just wanted to be sure. Sorry if I am dumb.

No, itĀ“s okay. :slight_smile:

It means deliberately saying something to stir things up, to get a discussion going.
Not to create havoc per se, although that can be a side effect, but the end goal is to change things for the better.

Itā€™s like when thereā€™s an elephant in the room and you want to talk about it.

3 Likes

No, I think I heard that, too.

Wait a minute thereā€¦it exist in MY HEAD are we clear?

1 Like

I thought you are in her head? So you are in the forum in @PiecesOfKateā€™s head? Now Iā€™m confusedā€¦ :confused:

Are you that soldier, back to confuse me?

No I was in his head. So Iā€™m in his head and the forum is in my head and heā€™s in the forum.

Kapisch?

Aha! Then thatā€™s the ā€œcircle of lifeā€ everyone is talking aboutā€¦

ā€œEins auf die Fresse?ā€ ā€¦ would be a common answer in some parts of Germany for ā€œKapischā€. So I would be careful with that expression ā€¦ :wink:

One on the face? Oo er. What does kapisch mean in German then? Google just translates it to the same.

Apparently itā€™s technically spelt ā€˜capisceā€™, from the Italian ā€˜capireā€™ meaning ā€˜to understandā€™.

Yes, the same it seems. But it has a massive negative, ā€œbossyā€ and aggressive tone in German. I think this picture sums it up (ā€œYou are doing what I say, Kapisch??ā€):

/edit:

In Germany ā€œKapicheā€ (spoken like an Italian) is also a common variant. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah no, the agressiveness of the expression is in every language. The uncalled for threat of violence was a 100% someone, though. :laughing:

4 Likes

3 Likes

Blockquote IMG_4279.JPG750x556 97.1 KB
We also have this (related) saying:

I think that might be close to the English

Cat Among The Pigeons

the only Elephant one we have is Elephant In The Room which means people ignoring something important that might be negative but brushed over not talked about so you Ignore The Elephant In The Room. You both know about it but wonā€™t discuss it.

1 Like

It appears the french also say Elephant in a porcelain store.

2 Likes

In Italian, itā€™s an elephant in a glass shop

3 Likes