The official language thread

Yes, but my main point is the same kind of argument applied to English. Braying is nothing like neighing. It’s just a sound a horse might make (more typically associated with a donkey).

You’ve got neigh, whinny and whicker.

If you include archaic terms like hinnying, in Dutch we have hinnen.

And quoting from the WNT:

Edit: and of course note that grinniken and snickering are the same thing.

Cool! Neien / neighing
That’s some clear etymological links there.

My main point was that in Dutch, we use hinniken for 99% of the time (unless you’re a writer) while in English it seems whinny and neigh are both frequently used? (Not sure though - never heard of neigh before this forum)

Whinnying is greenzen where I’m from (presumably “greinzen” in Standard Dutch, possibly “grenzen”). Neighing is hinniken.

Dot storreke peerd greenst sachies.

(That strong horse whinnies softly.)

1 Like

My colleague just made a really good Spoonerism:

health and wellbeing > wealth and hellbeing

5 Likes

One of those things you´re really surprised you haven´t heard before! :open_mouth:

Indeed!

“Ich auch” is german for “me too”, however I´m trying to establish the alternative I learned last night now. :grin:

1 Like

(it was actually ‘mine too’)

1 Like

I actually forgot what it was about, but that makes it only half wrong actually. Zwo (I actually have no idea how many “o” that is supposed to have) is a rather rare word for “zwei”.

One please:

2 Likes

Yep, I knew that. :lying_face:

2 Likes

I was kind of wondering where you got all those "o"s from…but don´t worry I just found it adorable, that´s all.

1 Like

And I was wondering why you were suddenly comparing me to people whose German is actually good… That makes sense now.

Was it right after that? I didn´t really want to correct you right away, but I´ve also been thinking of people who say “ringing” instead of “sound”, which I also thought was fun.

Never mind though, it was still fine if you didn´t speak a single word of german.

You know what is really terrible. My french. C´est grand merde…

1 Like

Aye. I literally just made it up for fun though. Worked out well that it was an actual word :wink:

In what sense?

1 Like

Because Katie said “klingeln” instead of “klingen” in that one german sound recording she made, and that is an understandble mistake, but funny because both words have to do with sound.

1 Like

Oh I thought you meant in English (by people who aren’t native English speakers).

Did you just call me homophonic? :thinking:

2 Likes

You mean phonophobic? :smile:

Did I miss a post somewhere of @PiecesOfKate speaking/writing made up German (zwooo something)?
I hope not a #metoo ? :wink:

1 Like

Links zwo drei vier. #mezwo!!1einz

3 Likes