I used to use “BR, Arto” in all my English emails, but after the transition to new email (Google) and the fact that I could have only one signature for all languages, I had a bit of a struggle with myself, and decided to just drop all greetings. Now everyone gets only my name, title and contact information after the message. And I rather like it. It’s a Finnish way. No bullshit, just info.
The most difficult thing with emails is the word “Dear”. “Dear Guybrush”, “Dear Sir” etc. As a Finn, I would use the word “Dear” to someone who I really love and gone to hell and back with. So, using that word to contact someone I’ve never had any contact with before is a bit weird.
Actually, as a Brit, sometimes I find myself thinking the same thing! Normally I use “good morning/afternoon” for formal emails, and “hi” for informal ones. But the other day I started an email with “Dear”, and then immediately thought to myself:
“Hang on, does that sound too sentimental?” 
Usage differs a bit between the UK and the US, which is why I include this British reference work (Practical English Usage) to support the fact that it’s not:
(With people you know common expressions include With best wishes and With kind regards.)
Yours truly is formal (not formal formal but formal) and (kind/best) regards is on the rather informal but not quite familiar side. You interpret yours truly as informal as a Brit? Would that be because it’s common American usage?
Dear insert name is fine; just Dear is not. ![]()
I tend to use ‘kind regards’ or ‘best wishes’ for formal stuff. Or ‘many thanks’ if I’m asking for something.
I think ‘dear xx’ and ‘yours sincerely’ are a bit old hat these days, especially since they’re more for letter writing and most people send emails now.
My email courtesy today is to use the recipients name in greeting: “Hi John” 
Yep, but I’m not quite sure why!
Just Dear would sound as if you’re about to give them a lecture on why they should be doing more of the housework.
(Yeah, the opposite sentiment of my previous post, but that’s how I imagine it being said in this case
)
Huh, I can imagine writing just dear to my wife if I were a few decades older. And not to lecture anyone. 
What if, instead of “kind regards”, I close my e-mail with “warmly”? It’s more confidential and less formal?
You should add your bank account too then! ![]()
Insert a reply with 2000 different smileys here. I am too lazy…
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
It’s less formal, but still has a professional tone to it. You could use this when emailing colleagues.
‘Sup,
This is a formal email in the futuristic year of 2027.
Later dawg,

‘Sup,
This is a formal email in the futuristic year of 2027.Later dawg,
Biatch,
U kiddin m8.
Smell ya,
2057
Biatch,
U kiddin m8.
Smell ya,

This is more of a cultural question than a language one but I was just talking to @boosegoose on Twitter about that:
How many of you people had to wear school uniforms and did it depend on wheater you went to a private school or not?
Not even my parents had that anymore, but it looks like it is still a thing in england and other countries?
Not even my parents had that anymore, but it looks like it is still a thing in england and other countries?
It’s oddly common in Belgium.
but it looks like it is still a thing in england and other countries?
At primary school, in a private institute, we had to wear a sort of suit on our normal clothes (dark blue for males, light blue for females). I liked it because I didn’t have to care about what to wear, and if someone had cheaper or richer clothes.
In public schools they’re not requested at all.
How many of you people had to wear school uniforms and did it depend on wheater you went to a private school or not?
Growing up I never had to wear one, it was mainly for private schools. There are public schools here that have uniforms (ties for kindergarten, which I found annoying). The rationale is that it leads to good behavior/more respect. Maybe that works for some kids.

