The official language thread

Yeah, I think so.

:+1:

2 Likes

I used to use “BR, Arto” in all my English emails, but after the transition to new email (Google) and the fact that I could have only one signature for all languages, I had a bit of a struggle with myself, and decided to just drop all greetings. Now everyone gets only my name, title and contact information after the message. And I rather like it. It’s a Finnish way. No bullshit, just info.

2 Likes

The most difficult thing with emails is the word “Dear”. “Dear Guybrush”, “Dear Sir” etc. As a Finn, I would use the word “Dear” to someone who I really love and gone to hell and back with. So, using that word to contact someone I’ve never had any contact with before is a bit weird.

5 Likes

Actually, as a Brit, sometimes I find myself thinking the same thing! Normally I use “good morning/afternoon” for formal emails, and “hi” for informal ones. But the other day I started an email with “Dear”, and then immediately thought to myself:

“Hang on, does that sound too sentimental?” :grinning:

4 Likes

Usage differs a bit between the UK and the US, which is why I include this British reference work (Practical English Usage) to support the fact that it’s not:

(With people you know common expressions include With best wishes and With kind regards.)

Yours truly is formal (not formal formal but formal) and (kind/best) regards is on the rather informal but not quite familiar side. You interpret yours truly as informal as a Brit? Would that be because it’s common American usage?

Dear insert name is fine; just Dear is not. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I tend to use ‘kind regards’ or ‘best wishes’ for formal stuff. Or ‘many thanks’ if I’m asking for something.

I think ‘dear xx’ and ‘yours sincerely’ are a bit old hat these days, especially since they’re more for letter writing and most people send emails now.

3 Likes

My email courtesy today is to use the recipients name in greeting: “Hi John” :smile:

2 Likes

Yep, but I’m not quite sure why!

Just Dear would sound as if you’re about to give them a lecture on why they should be doing more of the housework.

(Yeah, the opposite sentiment of my previous post, but that’s how I imagine it being said in this case :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Huh, I can imagine writing just dear to my wife if I were a few decades older. And not to lecture anyone. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What if, instead of “kind regards”, I close my e-mail with “warmly”? It’s more confidential and less formal?

1 Like

You should add your bank account too then! :wink:

1 Like

Insert a reply with 2000 different smileys here. I am too lazy…
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::thinking::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::upside_down_face::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::sleeping::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

It’s less formal, but still has a professional tone to it. You could use this when emailing colleagues.

3 Likes

‘Sup,
This is a formal email in the futuristic year of 2027.

Later dawg,

3 Likes

2 Likes

Biatch,

U kiddin m8.

Smell ya,

3 Likes

1 Like

This is more of a cultural question than a language one but I was just talking to @boosegoose on Twitter about that:

How many of you people had to wear school uniforms and did it depend on wheater you went to a private school or not?

Not even my parents had that anymore, but it looks like it is still a thing in england and other countries?

It’s oddly common in Belgium.

2 Likes

At primary school, in a private institute, we had to wear a sort of suit on our normal clothes (dark blue for males, light blue for females). I liked it because I didn’t have to care about what to wear, and if someone had cheaper or richer clothes.
In public schools they’re not requested at all.

2 Likes