Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

The official language thread

No, I mean “waters” in the sense of the German “Wässer” (or “Gewässer”). You can have one water (Wasser) and several different waters (Wässer) - according to my dictionary. :slight_smile:

What about person, people and peoples. That’s a double-plurality there. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Don’t ask me - my English is horrible(s). :wink:

There’s no “no” there because there’s no contradiction present. Talking about specific types of water isn’t referring to the same thing as water in general.

But sure, some words like coffee, beer, tea, and water can be used in a countable form as well, whereas it’s hard to imagine someone saying jewelries or informations.

Water

Waters

grafik

The above two together would be Waterses.

Themses hobbitses stoles meses ringses.

No, because you can have different “waters”. There is no “the water” - except you are talking at a meta level. :slight_smile:

I knew you would come up with a guy named Waters. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though I would translate “waters” with “Gewässer” if that makes any sense.

People = plural (English)
Gente = singular (italian)
During my high school last exam, my English teacher corrected me twice “People is” instead of “People are”. I still remember that.

In what context?

People is strange
When you is stranger

People ___ growing fast in that place

I always put are in that blank space.

I´m not sure I understand the sentence. Does it mean that individual people are growing up fast in a particular area or that the overall number of people is growing (by birthrate) in that part of a country or something?

A multitude of persons.

“People are growing up fast in that place” is correct then. What did your teacher tell you?

“People are growing fast in that place” is an incomplete and unclear sentence.

The number of people is” growing fast in that place is correct.

People is growing fast in this place if you waters it.

grafik

People are, while I had said, for two times, people is, which is wrong.
The reason is that in Italian, people=“gente”, which is singular.

So one person is a gente, too?

No. “La gente” means a multitude of persons.
There’s no “gente” if there’s only one person. In that case, it’s a “persona”.