The official travel thread

Where I’m from the worse German tourists often go around like “GRRR why can’t I get coffee at 6 AM” and “you’re right at the sea, how can today’s catch be sold out at 2 PM.” :wink:

I always notice that in hotels myself, german tourists are the worst!

2 Likes

I realise we both didn´t document our visit to the art gallery on sunday.

So here´s a dramatisation:

(partly accurate)

5 Likes

Oh look, somebody made an HD version of this famous Edison painting:

@patrik3dspacek: Was that you?

3 Likes

nope, not me :slight_smile:

:shushing_face: With him being him I´d take his word for it when he doesn´t take credit for once!

1 Like

Visiting La Biennale Di Venezia this May!

2 Likes

Business trip?

No, visiting the Vernissage of the Singapore Pavillon. A friend of mine is the representative artist there this year. And my wife assisted him. Yay!

EDIT: Does anyone know a good and cheap hotel/b&b in Venice?

1 Like

No, but I wouldn’t suggest “sleeping under a bridge…” :drum:

5 Likes

Very funny! :smiley:
Tried to visualize myself under a bridge in Venice.

Alright. We found a place in Mestre, which is not too expensive. Now I’m asking if you know a good restaurant. And what is the specialty I should try in Venice? What is Italy famous for? :stuck_out_tongue:

:pineapple: :pizza:

3 Likes

How dare you, heretical blasphemer! :rofl:

@Mario Anyway, it’s quite a while I don’t go to Venice. Try some risotto (rice dish), maybe some fried fish, and don’t miss Tiramisù :star_struck:.

Some other people who visit the city more often than me, could suggest you other dishes too!

2 Likes

You use these words a lot lately, have you hung out a certain place in rome a lot lately? :thinking:

Ahah, no… I’ve recently read some books about medieval age (mostly Le Goff), and seen the new TV adaptation of Eco’s the Name of the Rose. Maybe that’s why… :joy:
Oh and obviously the other conversation with the heretical reference started by NinjaGamer :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I’ve been under a bridge in Venice… :thinking:
Fish dishes are recommended when visiting Venice. In restaurants far from tourist places.

4 Likes

Wow! Is it any good?

Well I must say that I enjoyed watching it. John Turturro as William of Baskerville, and Damian Hardung as Adso of Melk, nail the roles.
The screenplay on the one hand is more detailed than the movie by J.J. Annaud. On the other hand, it develops some side stories which weren’t in the book either (probably to meet the tastes of a younger and female audience too).
Photography is good, and so are the external scenes in the wood (and others), which I loved. The internal ones in my opinion suffer from a light and colors use which reminds me too much the TV series (it is a TV series actually) and does not gives back a certain old consistency which I loved in the movie from Annaud. Also during the debate, I noted it was banalized a little in favour of the pace and action of the TV series.
It is split into 4 episodes of 2 hours and is an Italian-German coproduction (Rai-Tele Munchen). Probably the fact that it is split in four episodes sometimes slows too much the pace. If you like the story and the settings, it is worth watching it, even if I think it could be done even better, still winking at television audience, which was inevitable.
One last thing: I don’t know how the German dubbing will be, but probably Turturro with his peculiar voice is better listened in original (I listened to samples of both versions, Italian and English on the Rai site).

1 Like

That´s good. The movie feels so comprised compared to the book. The book really lives from its slow pace and the way it develops.

Meaning there are more female characters than just…you know…“the girl”?

The part I liked about the movie was the atmosphere. The music was also great. I really liked the way the monastry looked even though you couldn´t really tell what kind of a maze the library tower was supposed to be (I seem to remember that there was even a map in the book)

That´s too bad, because that was my biggest issue with the movie. Adding artificial drama where it just wasn´t supposed to be and having everyone just shout ominious shit to ad some tension. And of course the death of Bernado Gui was a serious cringe moment! :roll_eyes:

Oh that´s just in general though. He never has the same voice twice in german movies and they never bring across his heavy New York accent (which is impossible anyway).

Yes. It’s almost impossible to get the book’s breath with a movie. We could say Annaud’s movie was more adherent to the last part of the book, where everything starts to intertwine and speed up.

Exactly. The character of the girl herself has been way more developed.

Yes. I liked that too. This time you’ll have a better and more adherent whole picture of the monastery. But some of that magic of mistery about places of the Annaud’s movie is lost in my opinion. Yes there’s a map at the beginning of the book.

Probably better than the movie this time, still it could be done better. Bernardo Gui (Rupert Everett) has a different fate this time.