The official travel thread

Depends on the quality. :wink:

Yes, it is. It’s the most expensive place, you know. At least in Venice. It’s our Boardwalk.

1 Like

For a meal that fed 4, at a busy touristy place, tip included, that doesn’t sound that much over the top. Of course, a cappuccino for €8 is definitely luxurious. When we were in Paris, that price included a rather delicious Croissant :slight_smile:. (Although that was back in 2004 or '05, so who knows how much that combination is now)

Yeah, I imagine you can get an incredibly bad cup of coffee for nearly the same price at the average German autobahn rest station, in an ambience much worse to boot.

From experience, I am no longer surprised by expensive food around tourist magnets. It’s rather the other way round, when getting a “cheap” meal at places were I’d expect much higher prices. On our visit to Innsbruck, we ate lunch at the restaurant Seegrube, pretty much near the mountain top (one of the photos above was taken from their terrace). We paid 35€ when I would have expected 50 to 60€, given the lack of competition and the expense of getting anything up there at all. I live at a fairly touristy place, and you hardly get lunch that cheap around here.

:door: Also, high prices can be deceptive sometimes.
When we visited Schwerin, I wanted to pick up a piece of cake for the afternoon, and the bakery we entered had deliciously looking plum tart, €3,50 apiece. Pretty expensive, for these parts, I thought, but I’m on vacation, so what gives?

Turns out that “piece” was half the cake :smile:.

2 Likes

I remember a lunch that now costs €11-12 was about €5-6 back then. Although living cost index in Finland says €5 of 2004 should be €6.15 now :thinking:

Don’t get me started on prices. I lived for years in Zurich, one of the world’s most expensive cities. Now my perception of prices is all skewed.

“No pizza should cost more than 5 euros, no matter how elaborate” (2010’s Guga)
“10 euros for a pizza margherita? Whoa, that’s cheap!” (current Guga)

6 Likes

I agree. I still agree!

When in Cagliari last year we had lots of relatives at home, so we decided to buy pizza for everyone. We bought 12 pizzas, and we offered. We spent LESS than what we usually spent in Zurich for 3 pizzas.

Cagliari is pretty cheap when it comes to eating :smiley:

Back from a wonderful extended weekend with @tasse-tee in Cologne. We went swimming and to the Zoo and generally had a mighty fine time together! :relaxed:

9 Likes

Noooo! I was exactly there at the weekend! :dizzy_face:

Maybe next time, @Someone :smiley:

2 Likes

It would be a pleasure. :smiley: Just drop me a note if you are in cologne again. :smiley:

3 Likes

PS Cologne is close enough to consider. No promises. :wink:

3 Likes

Don’t forget that in August, in the week 19-25, Mr. and Mrs. Fox should be there, too! We can meet altogether.

5 Likes

A person* listed in the credits of Thimbleweed Park will be in Milan/Como/Monza on July 10 (20.00) to 12 (17.00). @Guga @Ema

*Me

1 Like

Crap, I think I might be in Sardinia those days.

I’m so sorry you have to cancel your trip to Sardinia. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

:train2: Black Forest

1 Like

:austria: :red_car:

3 Likes

Wouldn’t you need more something like a :sailboat: to get to Ibiza?

1 Like

:de: :red_car: :austria:

1 Like