The quality of The Hugo Trilogy

Gog sells The Hugo Trilogy for only a few Dollars/Euros in the Halloween sale. I’ve never played these games but back in the 90s they were very popular in the shareware scene. Has someone played one of these three adventures? Are they good? Or so bad that they are good? :slight_smile: Are they worth the (reduced) price?

1 Like

I have played the DOS shareware versions of the first two games - one or two years ago. You can download them legally for free and play them via DOSBox. They are extremely old-school. Clunky controls and some of the puzzles are frustrating. A matter of taste. I am happy that I played only the shareware versions and have not payed for those games.

Interestingly, these GOG versions seem to run in ScummVM, seeing that message box having popped up in one of the screenshots there.

2 Likes

Yes, ScummVM supports them: ScummVM :: Compatibility - DEV

1 Like

I really like that , unlike old sierra games, you can highlight objects on mouseover, but apart from this you need to type, so you need to think , you can’t try everything.

I didn’t know this, as it is only valid for the non-shareware version.
See here:

Thanks for your answers, @BigRedButton and @seguso. What do you think about the story/stories? After reading the description of the games, the first part seems like a worse version of “Maniac Mansion” . :slight_smile:

I hardly remember the stories. Probably because they are far-fetched and were mostly told via unspectacular non-interactive text boxes. If I remember correctly, the first game was rather a horror thriller (similar to MM indeed), while the second one was pretty much a family thriller - as far as I can tell you without spoiling.

1 Like

Sounds like there is more to it, then.:thinking:

If so, I won’t tell you. :sunglasses:

2 Likes