Thimbleweed Park best quotes

I have a few favourite quotes - not just from what is said, but how they say it. You can find them in these scenarios:

• When Ray uses her phone while in the bank. To call the bank.
  • Reyes’ reply when the bank manager protests to his paperweight being stolen.
  • Reyes’ confession to Ray just before she gets on the bus.
3 Likes

I have no idea what the reference means and I don’t remember Willy saying it either (UK)

Because in english he refers to the Challenger explosion which was in 1986 and in german they replaced it with a reference to the murder of politician Uwe Barschel which was in 1987.

Germany and Censorship with games goes way back, doesn’t it? Do you remember Barbarian and the blood that had to be green and Mortal Kombat!

Does he? I didn’t get that. I’ll have a look though the texts. BRB.
Yeah I see it now he does as well. I remember Challenger :confused:

That’s the one that blew up as it took off. I remember watching it on the news. But I don’t know what an O ring means?
Just looked it up.

Once I’d got anything useful out of Willie I just let him be. He kept banging on about Ransome merch and Second Hand Crystals. I thought perhaps you needed to get that Crystal from the penthouse maybe something secret but no…

You have to question Willie a lot of times to get that.

1 Like

In this case it´s more localisation than censorship. Both of these are rather tasteless, I guess they thought it was recognised more easily in german, I don´t know.

The absense of an o-ring seal was blamed for the shuttle blowing up on take off. It is also a rather obscure reference to an early version of Maniac Mansion where Ron had planned to put that very missing O-Ring as an inventory item into the mansion (which was on par with the missing reactor cooling device from Chernobyl that is found in the cellar).

4 Likes

Wasn’t he your Prime Minister? Got accused of a WaterGate type espionage thing?

Not of my part of the country (we had a far worse criminal, who choked on his own vomit a year later).

But yes there are all sorts of conspiracies associated with his body having been found in his bathtub. It was ruled suicide but no one believed that. Ransome admits he killed him in the german version.

Edit: Seems like @tasse-tee is enjoying my little history lesson. :smile:

4 Likes

Ah yes. You do (well we do) forget the days before the wall came down. Oh what a night that was. It built for so long but to watch people hand down parts of the wall and put hands through the wall. Should never have happened in the first place.

1 Like

Indeed I am! And especially the references in adventure games.

2 Likes

Oh, no. I´m from western germany too. Uwe Barschel was minister in another part of germany, though.

2 Likes

Deleted… Uncouth. Sorry.

I think you´re checking the wrong game´s code there…

1 Like

Too complicated for thick people like me. We played East Germany, West Germany Unified Germany.

I was very happy when the wall came down. It was a wonderful moment. East Germany was so poor as I remember. Very sad.

So how many Prime Minsters do Germany have or did have?

I think it was a mod.

16 because that´s what germany is divided into (has to do with our history of principalities and smaller kingdoms). We however only have one chancellor (which is the equivalent of your prime minister) and that was Helmut Kohl in the 1980s and 90s and has been Angela Merkel since 2005 now.

1 Like

Thanks! That helps me understand it much better.

You must be doing something right your economy is booming. Your roads are very smooth your transport runs on time. But don’t go hoovering your living room past 8pm :wink: