To those who have a peculiar/funny/cryptic nickname: what does it mean?

I love the backstory to my nickname :stuck_out_tongue:

It was around 20 years ago, I was playing Tetris on a schoolmate’s GameBoy while returning from a school trip. I got the high score, and I had to write down my name, however the owner of the GameBoy said “it’s my GameBoy, I get to write your name”. So he proceeded with writing my surname (it was middle school, we all called ourselves by our surnames): he pressed down until he got to G, went to U, back to G. He then had to write another G, so he pressed the button once more because he thought the cursor would have stayed on the previous letter, but in Tetris it came back to A, and he wrote GUGA.
“What the hell are you writing”, I said, and he answered “wait, I’m gonna delete it”. But he didn’t know how, so he began searching through all characters until he got a hyphen and thought it was the cancel button, but instead we got GUGA-.
“Oh no! There must be a way of deleting” he said, and kept on searching. Found a cross - × - and thought again it was the backspace character. It was not.
“You know what?” I said “Forget it, just leave it as it is now”
“Guga-x… you know, it’s kinda cool”, he said. From that moment on, I was Guga for everyone, even some of my relatives. There were people who knew me in real life and had no idea what my real name was.

If “Guga” is already taken (which is often the case, it being a quite common nickname in Brazil), I then add 2112, which is my favorite Rush album.

4 Likes