TWP sales breakdown by country

Well, I did my part in promoting Thimbleweed Park, and I will continue to spread the word, especially now that the Christmas holidays are coming.
I did it with every legal means I could.

I don’t know, maybe the games are too expensive in general (TWP cost is below average, though) and italians prefer to purchase anything else.

If teens have a limited budget and they are told “you can only buy one game”, I suppose their first choice won’t be TWP, unfortunately.

I’d say Italians aren’t that interested in adventure games, but those who are are very passionate about it. That would explain why Italy bought so few copies but has a great percentage of active TWP forum members.

The issue with sales data is that a positive result from a country can be considered an indication of a higher general interest about the product but a lower result can’t be considered by itself a lack of interest, because sales are driven (among many other things) also by the economic environment of a country and how much people are willing to spend actual money for the product.

For example, it might not be a coincidence that the countries that appear in the lower positions of my previous chart are also the countries that are more interested to search in Google “thimbleweed park torrent”:

(Source)

1 Like

Makes sense!

:cry:

This is interesting. Maybe it was a bad idea to offer a DRM-free version ab initio.

1 Like

Oh, pig dustpan !!
Back to the '80s and '90s, then…

:laughing: it took me some time to get it.

1 Like

When I write in italic it means that phrase is a literal translation of a way of saying :laughing:

Makes sense for spain. They have a serious poverty issue.

I wouldn’t conclude that without any other data/statistics: For example France is on number 4 of your “Trorrent ranking” - and they have a good “economic environment”. Maybe the people in Spain are more skeptic about the quality of the game (I remember a lot of questions about the Spanish translations). Or “torrent” was the auto completion by Google while searching for the solution to a particular puzzle. :slight_smile:

Porca paletta?? Or how should it be translated?

1 Like

Ups. Nothing to be proud of in that chart.

I don’t believe there’s such a straight relationship between poverty and pirating software.
I believe it is more related to lack of respect to intelectual property.

Yes :wink:
It’s more soft than “holy shiFt”

I would like to reply to a few people about the last “torrent” chart but I don’t have the time right now, so for the moment I’ll just want to clarify that the “torrent” chart doesn’t explain anything by itself, especially it says nothing about the economic situation of a country. Propensity to pirate games can also be in part a cultural phenomenon.

The data of that chart is not even normalized. It’s only when you are aware of other data and phenomenon that the “torrent” chart above acquires more sense. I’ll provide more information in the following hours.

Thanks. I was more familiar with porca miseria!

And why not in part because most people don´t have much money to spend?

Considering the Italian presence in the forum, I am really surprised by the low number of sales (per capita) too. Germany near the top meets my expectations, however. Given how large the U.S. population is, all things considered it’s no wonder they come out on top. Plus, the game is voiced in their native tongue, give or take-a-reno.

I do have the impression that sales could have done better in some markets, if voices weren’t English only. Especially in a game where there is so much talk. Reading, it seems, is going out of fashion as far as games are concerned.

Other adventure games were sold much better in Germany. Ron said somewhere that for the (later) LucasArts games Germany was the biggest market… (Correct me @RonGilbert if I’m wrong. :slight_smile: )

I think that’s always true, but recording quality voice is extremely expensive. They might have done better, but would they do better enough to earn back the cost of recording (and more, since this is a business, not a charity).

On top of that, I’d need to find some in the country to coordinate, manage and direct the entire process. Having a publishing parter is the best option, but then they are taking a cut and you make even less.

I would love to do voice for other languages, but it’s beyond our ability.

2 Likes

What about voice overs made by fans? Do you still consider this? (Of course it won’t be the same as a professional recording but could be generate some extra sales.)