"Useless" items in the inventory

Disagree. All the bears in the game are pixely and hard-edged.

Play Zak McKracken! I´m 75% sure the growling of an off screen animal is a reference, at least I took it as such because it´s the only old Lucas Film game that has that.

3 Likes

I collected all specks of dust in my first (and as of today only) run of the game as I thought they had relevance in the plot. I imagined that they were residue of something being burnt or otherwise disposed of in the mysterious factory, like documents being burnt (or corpses, but the game did not look gloomy enough to have such a dark secret).

3 Likes

Specks of dust are there only for one reason: to test the player’s OCD.

Giving your specks of dust to another person will group them together automatically. Before I realised that the dust counter for Ransome and Delores always shows the same number, I thought to myself:

“I must make sure everyone ends up with the right amount of specks at the end!” :laughing:

2 Likes

Hm… but isn’t that somewhat true? AFAIR each character has to pick up a given amount of speck of dusts and you get an achievement if you collect all specks of dusts? Or am I wrong…?

You get an achievement if you collect enough specks of dust, not all of them. I’m not even sure there is an “all of them”, I thought they were randomly generated.

And the counter is the same for everyone, I also thought in the beginning that each character had a different number in their todo list, but it’s not. I noticed when I picked up the “last” speck of dust with Delores only to find out all other characters had the item ticked too.

2 Likes

Ah, yes, you are right!

My sister got TWP as her birthday present in september. Yesterday I witnessed her progress… She is now figuring out how to turn the fan off in the factory, so she almost has the game completed. In her to-do-list she has “pick up one more speck of dust”. So I wonder if she’ll get an achievement for picking them all up… or maybe there is 1 speck around less then needed, in order to mock the OC-player? I really don’t know…

1 Like

No, me and others have reached zero before. Nothing happens.

That’s true in my case, but isn’t there a Steam achievement?

I think the Steam achievement expects less than the number in the todo list. I remember getting it before finishing the todo item.

That’s odd.

From this very same topic:

3 Likes

I collected them all in the Windows version, do i get anything out of it?

I don’t think so. I think they’re mainly there as a joke harking back to the old days and pixel-hunting. And to tease obsessive people like myself. I believe it was a suggestion from a fan and they thought it would be funny to implement.

I didn’t do that and mine still grouped.

2 Likes

Not quite right. They are an in-game-joke. See this post for more information:

Same thing though, right? And I said afterwards that:

We don’t know why the fan wanted them in there, but I would guess because it’s a reference to pixel hunting.

No, you referred to pixel-hunting. But that wasn’t the case (at first place).

AFAIR he missed the Kickstarter and wanted something in the game. Ron said that this won’t be possible. Then the fan asked if that is also valid for a smaller thing like a speck of dust.

1 Like

Can´t find the tweet right now (but I´m sure there is a certain three headed monkey who will) but it was a joke on the fans part as well.

Bascially he said he would loved to have an object in the game as well since he missed that perk in the kickstarter and he would be ready to donate so and so money to the game to get that in even if it was just a speck of dust.

2 Likes