"Useless" items in the inventory

I meant a homage to pixel-hunting, not that it was put there for pixel-hunting.

Ah, I see. I was wondering why specifically a speck of dust but that makes sense!

2 Likes

Ooooh, now I remember. Thank you

Funny enough I thought that the characters crouching to pick up dust in the middle of a crime scene was reminiscent of a lot of noir, detective stories in which investigators often silently and calmly pick up little things on the floor sometimes for no reason. So beyond the “pixel hunting hommage” there is also something that fits the ambiance in the game.

4 Likes

Ah ok. I thought it was a joke about how in old adventure games sometimes the hit box for you to see the description was so small (and they were) that you sometimes missed items you needed. So I thought that was a nod to that kind of pixel perfect scanning of the screen you had to do back then.

I did this myself. Threw it away with the tuna can. But then later clocked the sign behind the guy in the shop. In the UK we used to return glass bottles when I was a kid, they were a strange type of bottle as well with a weird top.

Here are the original tweets.

The twitter user “interimdan” (which no longer exists) asked Ron, after one year and half of game developement, to implement a speck of dust in the game.
Ron answered him:

Later, Ron showed via twitter the code he wrote about the specks of dust management:

… and finally…

4 Likes

In Germany we still do this. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it´s also plastic bottles and tin cans now.

1 Like

When I first arrived in Germany I didn’t know what the hell a Pfandnachzug was and why it costed me 25 cents every time. It’s not like I lost a fortune, but at least 10 Euros before someone told me.

2 Likes

It took you 40 bottles of WHAT to realise that? :dizzy_face:

Don’t worry: Some people live from collecting bottles. So you have made a good deed. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Water and Coke :stuck_out_tongue: distributed in around 3 weeks.

1 Like

I always do that in situations when I cannot be bothered and I think those 25 cents help someone more than it hurts me not getting them back.

2 Likes

He actually payed Ron:

1 Like

Dan Simon, was his name.
The $50.00 best spent ever!

2 Likes

This is such a cool story!

I only just noticed that Ron originally wrote “spec” as in :eyeglasses: I feel betrayed now…

Guess who noticed that about a year ago?

5 Likes

Nice one!

1 Like

So yeah,

The Game Cart (I was hoping you could wack it in the expansion port of the c64, of course it isn’t compatible but it might have been a hidden something)

Can you do anything with the Lettuce? Because when I was digging there are some assets to do with the Lettuce?

That Scotch bottle. I picked it up, she wouldn’t throw it then it vanished from my inventory?

Where did WIllie get matches for his bin fire?

1 Like