What about a TWP-Forum Game Jam?

Why do I get hungry every time I read one of your posts? :wink:

1 Like

Same!

1 Like

I think I might have a slight obsession wtih food :sweat_smile:
So I end up writing about it without realising!

1 Like

After having a look at your pictures, I would rather say that you are a gourmet! :slight_smile: But please keep going, especially the cake things (preferably with the complete recipe, so that I’m able to bake it… :wink: )

1 Like

I would participate with a team. On my own - no. I just started to learn Unity Adventure Game Creator, so maybe it would be a good thing to practice some simple scenes. I certainly can do sfx and music as I’m experienced with it. But I would not touch graphics and animation.

I was planning on learning how to use AGS anyway, so I would welcome such a game jam. Though, I’m afraid that I would need at least two months for creating a (more or less) worthy game, since it’s so much work and I also have some other things to do in my spare time - but I would enjoy it very much.

I’d like to contribute some art and some puzzle ideas to a very small demo, maybe 2 or 3 rooms. A lot of people seem reluctant to commit, so starting with something very small might help to get more people on board too.

1 Like

Hmm… I have an idea.

If all participants have different strengths, then everyone could work on the same game. But the way this would be done, the final product would be a mystery. Something like this:

1. Two people write the plot of the game together. This focuses on events, rather than puzzles.
  2. Another person designs the puzzles to fit in with the events of the plot.
  3. Three people design the setting, characters and objects used for the puzzles.
  4. Someone else adds music, SFX and voices.

At each stage, the content of this work-in-progress is known only to those who are working on it at the time. For example, after the people at Stage 1 are finished, they don’t see what happens to their story until the game is complete.

This is just a rough idea, and of course the programming of the game would have to fit in somewhere. But what do you all think…? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Too many cooks spoil the broth. I think, if we were really about to do such a crowd-sourcing project, we should rather do this with transparency among each other, provided that all responsibilities are allocated clearly enough.

Sounds a bit chaotic?

Mmhhh, somehow I have heard of this problem before where in manufacturing a product so many people are involved that the single worker doesn´t even have a clue what the product will be.

Didn´t someone write something about that a long time ago?

grafik

So it fits perfectly to the TWP forum users! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, I haven’t. (But you found a very nice picture of me! Didn’t knew that it existed…)

There are established processes for software development. But the question is: What do we want to achieve? Should it be a real “Game Jam” where every participant develops one single game? Or should we all try to develop one game together? @tasse-tee 's suggestions sound like a Wiki. I like that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You look like Ernest Hemingway? :astonished:

Oh yeah and every once in a while whoever has the time writes a development blog post and every friday we do a podcast!

1 Like

Without the beard, more hair, less black and white, a complete different nose, a smaller face, other eyebrows and a different skin. Yes!

I think @ZakPhoenixMcKracken is able do this alone and speak all other roles. :wink:

2 Likes

Uncanny!

1 Like

So you’re saying there’s just some resemblance around the eyes-a-reno?

2 Likes

Maybe give it a try. The girls just love salt´n´pepper beards! Right, right? :frowning:

Oh well, that’s the best part :smiley: it’s like one of those games I played as a kid where one writes a small paragraph of a story on paper, then folding the sheet leaving out only the last sentence as input for the next kid and so on, and in the end you read the story out loud and it’s complete nonsense and everyone laughs.

2 Likes

We used to do that but verbally. And everyone had to memorise everything up to the point where they added their part. It was chaotic but lots of fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I loved playing that at school. We called it ‘Consequences’. We folded it so the person couldn’t see anything that had been written. You’d end up with stories like this:

Danny DeVito
Michelle’s mum
Met at McDonald’s
He said ‘What’s your name, babe?’
She said ‘I’m glad you asked, now snog my face off.’
Consequence: they rode off into the sunset on My Little Ponies, won the lottery and lived a life of flamenco dancing and LSD.

Heyyyy we could play it on here using spoiler tags! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yes please, I’m up for that! :grin:

Do you use a script with certain gaps in it, like Mad Libs, so that you know what kind of word or phrase you need for the story to make grammatical sense? Eg: “met at [blank]” and “He said [blank]”?