What would you put in Room 101?

Over here, squeezy versions of things are always more expensive. I suspect it’s because plastic is more expensive than glass. In the case of Marmite it’s a no brainer - think of all that wasted gooey goodness that gets stuck around the edges of a squeezy!

1 Like

That’s quite true now that you mention it.

In any case, I like the squeeze jars less and they’re more expensive. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: But compared to the glass jar that’s almost four times as much as it should be… eh, it’s what I go for. it’s the only option.

1 Like

Ok @Sushi before I mail this, do I have your address correct? :wink:

Sushi in Fishbowl
c/o Zak McKracken
5858 13th Street
San Francisco, CA
USA

5 Likes

:door: Allergies :sneezing_face:

Oh dear. I wonder what the representation would be for that one when it gets put in the vault? A snotty hanky, maybe?

1 Like

Depends on the Allergy. In most cases a tree? :deciduous_tree:

@milanfahrnholz: Hope you can enjoy your vacations anyway? Get well soon!

2 Likes

:hay: :snot: :redeyes: nope nothing. Need to get to a lake. It’s way too hot on top of that.

Aww :frowning: I hope you manage to find a lake soon. Apparently it also helps to put vaseline around your nostrils to trap anything that might trigger the allergies when you inhale. But I’m sure you know all this!

1 Like

What is that? :thinking:

Marmite.
Yeast extract. Rich in B vitamins.
Interesting. I guess the only time I sampled yeast was a bit of a stick of brewer’s yeast. I remember I wasn’t particularly impressed by its taste, but this one makes me curious. I wonder what it tastes like.

Yeast extract in various forms is present in a great many products for flavoring.

In most premade bouillon it makes it so that it actually has flavor. The chicken in that has no flavor of any sort. (Get vegetarian instead. It has more yeast, less flavorless chicken. Plus my wife’s vegetarian.)

Virtually none of the ham-flavored chips have any ham powder. There’s a French brand of relatively fancy chips that do, but all Lay’s ham/bacon/bbq/whatever-flavored chips are suitable for vegetarians. It tastes pretty similar because of yeast. NB I don’t like any of them. :stuck_out_tongue:

Etc. etc.

Some articles bring me to the umami taste

This makes me remember of a great soup I ate in Thimble weed park ahem… Christiania in Copenhagen…
Now that I think of it I finally understand why we’ve been searched at the airport, we had the same clothes as when we went there to eat in the local (lovely) restaurant.

1 Like

It’s interesting to look through some of the websites of yeast growers:

http://www.biospringer.com/yeast-products/

Think of yeast extracts as natural flavor-building blocks. Each one imparts a different note to foods… whether it is meaty, poultry, buttery, bouillon, mushroom, or umami. You can pick and choose various yeast extracts to build the flavor profile you are seeking. Some of our Savoury yeast products may also be used individually. Don’t be fooled by the “Savory” name. Yeast extracts can also be used to develop sweet flavors like chocolate or caramel! Because they do not contain the yeast cell wall, yeast extracts are water-soluble, so they blend easily.

Not only do our yeast extracts add taste, they also bring out the best in existing flavors and balance the overall flavor profile. You can choose from a broad range of yeast extracts - each one with a specific functionality or benefit. The result: You’re able to pick and choose the culinary building blocks that best fit your own recipe – and appeal to consumers.

1 Like

Correct, although the lead there is mildly deceptive in a way.

Unless you live in the UK or one of its commonwealth countries the chances are high that you have never tasted yeast extract before.

Marmite is one of the several available varieties of Marmite-like products easily available to me that are reasonably close to pure yeast extract. At bio stores they most commonly sell Vetamite, but often also various other -mites. (Price-wise those are on the other side of the outrageously expensive Delhaize Marmite.) In some specialty stores you can also get Vegemite but that’s a niche product. I’m not sure if it’s shipped all the way from Australia or New Zealand or if they also make it in the UK. But unless you’ve never eaten any kind of processed food, which even you and I presumably do occasionally, chances are rather small that you’ve never had it (cf. supra).

At those same bio stores, they also sell yeast-free vegetable bouillon and other yeast-free products. They taste good too. Now that’s actually high-quality bouillon powder (insofar as that isn’t a contradiction in terms, a cynic might say). In lower quality bouillon most of the ingredients are flavorless padding of the ingredients list, in there merely to be able to say that it contains X on the front of the package, whereas the actual flavor comes from the relatively minimal amount of yeast.

1 Like

Oh I remember that! vegemite sandwich

3 Likes

It also tastes revolting :wink:

I’ve bought that before but only as an ingredient (I forget for what – probably risotto or something). How have you eaten it, out of curiosity?

1 Like

I’ve never had it. It’s a super expensive specialty product. Although I guess if I’d consider buying a jar of Vetamite for €5-6 I could also consider buying a 213 g jar of Vegemite for the same price. I’m guessing it’s not 200 g for weird Imperial unit reasons. But… well, I’ll just stick with my €2 Marmite. I’m happy with it and it’s three times as affordable!

Occasionally as a simple broth/consommé, but for that I tend to use bio miso powder. We most often use vegetable bouillon as an ingredient in what we serve with couscous.

1 Like

Also helps when weather gets worse like it did now.

1 Like

:balance_scale:

2 Likes

:door: silly marketing strategies (such as the pizzaburger)

4 Likes

:door: American Coffee Houses in which you have a ridiculously huge variety of blends to choose from, and then they put them into a paper cup, so that they all have the same maintaste… of paper.

4 Likes