When is placed Monkey Island 1?

OR in the alternate timeline where SMI, MI2, and MI3a are canon, it’s a post-apocalyptic world where only remnants of our technology still exist and everything else has reverted back to more or less pirate times, taking place in either 3014 or 2187-2189 depending on what mood Ron Gilbert is in… But I’m gonna stick with 1685-1695 for the official timeline where SMI, MI2, CMI, EMI, and TMI are canon, lol…

Oh no!! Guybrush slept too long!

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue: I don’t think so!

Ron Gilbert has the power to make things canon.
Objection overruled. :grin:

4 Likes

This will be your reaction to him revealing the actual Secret of Monkey Island, mark my words.

6 Likes

No, it wasn’t:

2 Likes

But that wasn´t the real one anyway.

As we all know by now:

1 Like

Both answers are correct: Guybrush is a Banana and that ending is “really not that good”.

1 Like

I´d say they even might be co-related.

According to the first design document called “Mutiny on Monkey Island”: the game takes place on the evening of September 15, 1590

4 Likes

Okay, now the information in those Tweets are VERY interesting! However, these early design documents are still talking about a “Smear West” instead of Guybrush and such, so they cannot be said to be canonical. I say whatever information still fits with the officially released games and such made after those documents could be considered still potentially canonical, but the year being 1590 does not fit with the dates given in the SMI press release and in CMI and such, so I’m gonna say that has been retconned.

How did this individual get their hands on these documents? Are they legit?

Those documents are from Aric Wilmunder. There was a forum post about them two years ago:

The documents can be found at the Internet Archive:

3 Likes

Ah, thank you very much!