Which version of Zak McKracken do you suggest I play?

Ahahah don’t worry, even if you kill the two headed squirrel, you can continue. You will pay for your bad actions later in the game.

Well, I have to admit, that I just walked around until I found the room(s). The layout of the mazes never made sense to me. :wink:

Well, I would think that we all did that. :slight_smile: Or has anyone used the friendly solution at his first attempt? :slight_smile:

Not really. :wink:

No. The first time I acted exactly the same way LowLevel did:
Use tree branch with two-headed squirrel
** SBAMM! **

(and I said, back then: “Take that, monster!!” :smiley: )

1 Like

On the contrary. You will learn your lesson later.

2 Likes

There is another animal you could kill if you are careless.

If you are refering to Sushi, there seems to be no way to remove her from the glass without getting bad karma, not even in the potted plant, so I guess you only have to get rid of her after you went to the guru, or maybe do the breadcrumbs first and then put sushi into the sink when you don´t need it anymore?

Correct. But my favourite scene is when (LowLevel don’t look here) …

you put Sushi in the lamp, and then turn on the lamp :smiley:

4 Likes

Your last guess is correct: You can save sushi in the sink if you make the breadcrumbs first.

1 Like

Every child needs to know, to experience life and death. I bet everyone of us killed some living beings on earth. I made it too, they were some ants that I trapped and let them burn, only to let them die. And I regret it.
It is better if we could learn something about life and death via a videogame, and not killing actually some real living beings. That’s a good aspect of virtuality.
And that’s true to the different game philosophy in particular in ZMATAM where, as David said… somewhere, trial and error is intended to teach you something.

But in the end @LowLevel … which version of ZMATAM are you playing? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m playing the FM Towns version, which is the default one in the GOG build.

The enhanced audio convinced me that I prefer this version. Also, the additional colors and details sometimes make the interactive objects more distinguishable from the background.

1 Like

I really like the soundtrack a lot. San Francisco has street noise and most countries have a distinct feel in their music.

OK, the important thing is that you are enjoying the game!
Please keep us up-to-date on your progress!

After Zak kills the squirrel, what is his motivation to remove the loose dirt from the side of the mountain? (I don’t already know what’s in the cavern)

Because you´re not supposed to kill it, it is to follow it into it´s cave(it retreats when you don´t kill it). But then things take a different turn…

Yes, I understand that Zak is motivated to follow the squirrel if he doesn’t kill it, but what is his motivation to dig if the squirrel is dead? In other words, does the alternative solution to the puzzle remove the reason to dig?

1 Like

One easy answer would be “because it´s there” the other I guess would be, that even though it is dead maybe you want to look after the squirell´s nest or something. But also, don´t you feel something magical drawing you inside?

This is a useful answer, because it means that I have to switch on the adventuring mode “do things even if you don’t have a reason to”.

Only after I have realized that there is an “inside”, not when all I see is the side of a mountain.

1 Like

It´s a cave, the fact that there is even lose dirt should tell you that there is more than meets the eye.

Because your boss, during the intro, told you that the first UFO landing was on Mt. Rainier, and you must write an article about it, in addition to a two-headed squirrel which attacked someone.
So, it’s natural that you must find something to write about.
Diggin’…

1 Like

This might be a good time to tell you that you shouldn´t bother trying to find a way to report back to your boss, because that´s not what you´re doing from now on (I only just realized that might be what you think you should be doing the first time playing it).