Why does nobody like(d) MI4?

Here is the issue. If I make a new MI that follows closely to the original (PnC, etc), it will please the hardcore fans, but almost one else (Thimbleweed Park showed that). If I make an MI that will please and grab a larger audience, it will upset the hardcore fans. I’m stuck in a dilemma. I can make a game that sells poorly and pleases the fans, or make a game that sells well and upsets the fans. I’m sure both can be groups can be pleased, but I don’t think I’m the person to do that (or is anyone else associated with the original). MI is also so steeped in nostalgia that it’s damn near impossible to overcome that. It’s hard to live up to someone’s memory. That video posted a few days ago clearly shows that.

The comparison to Mad Max is an interesting one, but… Both Mad Max and MI helped to define genres (Mad Max with action movies and MI with PnC adventures), and that is where we run it issues with the analogy. Action moves continued to evolve and become a huge genre. Point-and-Click has been dying a slow death and has a game killing stigma attached to it. I could make the best point-and-click game ever made and very few people would care or even try it, and if they did, they would just crap on all the (necessary) tropes. If I change those tropes, it is no longer a point-and-click adventure, which brings us to my initial point. Please the fans or make a game that sells well. Given that I will have just spent several million dollars to buy the rights to MI, selling well is important.

7 Likes