Wordle - I know tomorrow's word!

No, I didn’t know it either (although I had done the answer last weekend, and I now know the etymology for the dutch word “opkalefateren” - to improve/fix the appearance of something)

Wordle 242 4/6

:green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

I challenge @Frenzie

woordje.be #38 :black_small_square: (10 letters) :black_small_square: :bulb: 5/11 :black_small_square: :clock2: 500s

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

Dutch version has 10 letters? :smiley:

You can actually change it from 3 with only 4 guesses (really hard, but fast) to 10 with 11 guesses (only hard to think of another long word).

Hm? I haven’t paid any attention to this Wordle stuff; what’s it do?

Edit: oh, it’s Lingo. But apparently the website has a rather limited vocabulary; it claims stuff I enter is invalid words.

1 Like

Do you remember what that word was? So far I haven’t encountered a word that I didn’t know (I think).

Yes, it was “caulk”

1 Like

Wasn’t that a puzzle in Broken Sword?

Ahhh. I guess you might not know the word if you don’t do home improvement/DIY projects?

Well, I do those… but not in English. :sweat_smile:
Anyway, there’s probably way more words in English I don’t know or come across so infrequently, than the ones I do know so I don’t mind learning or refreshing.

Heck, I even solved an ancient greek wordle through logical thinking and a bit of the good old “try everything with everything” technique.
It felt a lot like
Use JoJo on water valve ? I don’t see how that is going to accomplish anything, but it’s the only combination I haven’t tried yet”

4 Likes

Well, I do, but in English i use the equivalent to the Italian word, that is “to seal”
CAULK in Italian translates to CALATAFARE which is a word i did never heard.

2 Likes

IIRC that was “goat” :wink:

Ouch!

PS

Ah. I was more thinking of the noun as opposed to the verb. What would be the equivalent noun in Italian? I imagine it would be akin to “sealant.”

I believe you didn’t know this italian word, since it is spelled “calaFaTare”, indeed. :tongue: :tongue:
I knew it from some pirate books I read as a child, since it is seafaring terminology. I didn’t bother to look for EVERY term I encontered though, since back then there was no Google and the pages of adventure seafaring books were quite stuffed with obscure navigation terms…

3 Likes

Funny, previously I wondered if there was a connection with some metathesis involved, but (op)kalefateren is a very common Dutch word for closing a leak in a boat (with tar).

And more broadly quickly patching up some issue in general.

Edit:

kalefaten, kalefateren, kalfaten, kalfateren ww., sedert Kiliaen bekend (v. d. Meulen, Ts. 73, 1955, 102 noemt 1525 calefateren en 1543 calfaten ). — < fra. calfater , calefater (15de eeuw) < ital. calfatare < gr. kalaphateĩn ‘teren van een schip’. Dit gaat weer terug op arab. ḳafr ‘asfalt’, terwijl het griekse woord op zijn beurt weer arab. ḳalafa , ḳalfaṭa en ǧalfaṭa leverde. — Uit het nl. > nhd. kalfatern (sedert 1618), nd. kalfateren (> nde. kalfatre , nzw. kalfatra ).

it is, SIGILLANTE

Now I understand the english word might be way more common since it has a broad meaning, which includes the modern applications of sealing. In italian, calafatare actually only means “the antique technique of sealing gaps in wooden hulls”. Look at how much different look the Wikipedia pages from same word:

2 Likes

According to an article in the Guardian, the “caulk” answer caused a bit of controversy: “Some took to social media to denounce the noun – it’s a kind of waterproof sealant – as something that only Bob the Builder would know.”

Just like yesterday’s brine is probably only known to chemists.