Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders playthrough and hints

Imagine playing it on a C64 with a joystick, as God intented it. (God being David)

1 Like

Yes, hopefully!
I don’t expect the whole forum finishing it tomorrow, though! Especially not the first time players.
Perhaps we can agree on a kind of pacing, without spoiling things.
For example: play untill you have unlocked something (other than a door…) That should be vague enough to not spoil anything, but be clear enough for those who played it before.
After that, the game opens up (act 2-ish) and it will be harder to stay/play together, I think.

Surely the keyboard shortcuts for the verbs aren’t new?

We were stupid, OK?

Also playing any game obviously had to be done with a joystick.
And it says so on the box too : Just point and click, no typing ever!

3 Likes

I think my copy might be missing a stunning 3D environment. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I told you you should play the C64 version instead.

(Or you are missing some gullibility imagination)

What does confuse me a little is that these keyboard mouse controls aren’t working for me. Maybe it’s a ScummVM thing? I was mad at Maniac Mansion and now Zak for not allowing me to control the cursor with the keyboard like in the later Scumm games, but maybe ScummVM is to blame… I played the others in the original DOS.

More on topic, I’m currently trying to figure out how to distract the stewardess. The call button doesn’t really do it. But no hints yet, please. Just letting you know that I played another 10 minutes just now. :stuck_out_tongue:

I took a peek and could only find Italian and German versions. DOS galore.

Why not just use a mouse?

No hints! :zipper_mouth_face:

I do. But it’s annoying that this thing I’m:

a. used to being there
b. is explicitly mentioned in the manual

isn’t available when my hand is already in that general area and I want to use it. I mostly gravitate toward a combination of keyboard for action selection and mouse for moving and clicking but I’m not exclusive. Same reason I sometimes right-click, sometimes press a keyboard shortcut.

I also switch to my Xbox One controller sometimes, including in games like these. While oddly enough seemingly not supported by ScummVM out of the box, you can just map it to mouse and keyboard with a program like AntiMicro.

1 Like

Cool! If you map only 1 button and 1 analog stick (with the sensitivity turned all the way down), you can recreate the vintage experience.

1 Like

If I really like the game, I probably won’t be able to make myself stop playing at a specific point. That’s how I roll :wink:

But I will avoid bringing up things that happen past the agreed checkpoint, if we decide to implement them :smiley:

I’ll start playing tomorrow!

5 Likes

I bet you will love it from screen 1.

:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

It would be really great if @David could join the conversation during gameplay…:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

And play his own game. And ask us for hints if he gets stuck on one of the Mazes

3 Likes

Yeah, the only problem is that in the next days I’ll hardly have some spare time to play…

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m like that too, and sometimes I hate myself for being so!:dizzy_face:
I mean: why don’t you just relax and enjoy your playtrough for some hours, @Gffp? Then close everything, take a deep breath… and then come back the following day? (Now I want a badge for addressing myself for the first time)

5 Likes

:name_badge:

2 Likes

Bronze: “That’s My Name!” Well done for remembering it.
Silver: “Talking To Myself”. It’s getting a bit weird now.
Gold: “Own Best Friend”. Who needs other forum users when you have your own company?

5 Likes

At least those annoying Discourse warnings about not talking too much to a user would be eventually useful!

3 Likes