Zak McKracken video trailer (1990)

Damn, I gotta replay that game. Why is it on GOG, but not Steam…Disney wake up!

Hmm… That description actually makes it sound like it could be illegal in the context I was jokingly thinking of. I don’t imagine the Capon government would take too kindly to having mindbending machines used against them. Or has the use of such machines become so prevalent that the government is literally too stupid to realize that that they should ban civilian use of the machines?

I love/loved “Childhood’s End”, and had read it several times by the time I did Zak. But I don’t think I envisioned humankind evolving as a result of Zak’s efforts. Other than everyone suddenly becoming less stupid, I don’t think the protection shield Zak erected around Earth did anything other than repel the Caponians. Maybe he want on a tour, demonstrating the power of crystals? But no… if he removed the crystals from the device, then the protection field would have collapsed.

I mean because of this sentence in the epilogue:

No one trusted the phone company anymore so telepathic conversations and dream-sharing became the norm at $2.50 for the first 3 minutes after 11 PM

This sounds to me at least that humanity is capable of things they weren´t capable of before the invasion. At least I thought only the games main characters were able to do all that at the beginning of the game but after the end everyone can do that.

1 Like

Once the menace was over, I think Zak has disassembled the device, and shared the parts with Annie.
He kept for himself the candelabra and the glowing object, while Annie took the three crystals.
Then the humankind evolved anyway. And sometimes, unfortunately, it has deteriorated.

My guess is the arrest cells with the green lasers are a thing on the Capon home world because the effect wears off rather fast but the whole using the hum through the phones to make a whole population stupid is something that no private citizen has the means to do anyway.

I dunno. Private citizens have been doing something quite similar using the internet, to great success.

1 Like

Yeah, Zak was done 30 years ago. I always think would they do it today it´d be probably about the internet, smartphones or both.

1 Like

Clearly, as 20 years of 60 Hz on the phone lines later, look who got voted into the white house…
dumm…dum de dum…

3 Likes

You´re right maybe he got another set of eyes under that hair, terrible disguise!

1 Like

Yes, I forgot about that. Maybe the energy shield gave humanity those capabilities. Fun. I most likely wrote those lines, but forgot them. Thanks!

2 Likes

Or was it the white crystal’s doing? I can’t remember what powers the white one held?
Let me know via DreamShare, @David
I have the app…

2 Likes

That actually is a mystery! Because the other two; blue (astral projection on animals) and yellow (teleportation) also have secondary functions and people who know of their powers (the guru for the blue and the shaman for the yellow one). What the white one does (found on mars) remains unknown. Maybe the broom alien would have known had they asked it nicely…

The NERVE of some beings!

“An inconsiderate alien - and an ugly one at that!”

I´ve always been asking myself if the broom alien considers beings that don´t luck like brooms ugly (possibly funnier) or if it just thought the astronaut helmets were their actual faces. It might work both ways.

2 Likes

The last time I saw a broom alien face-to-face I was probably 12, so I don’t think I had the obsessive reasoning skills to answer that.

But I thought that bit was one of the funniest parts of the game.

1 Like

Was possibly the part that stuck with me the most after the first time playing it, yes.

1 Like

And perhaps it was just so exciting to finally unlock that part in the game, after bumbling around for so long trying to get to Mars.

Yeah especially as it sounded like such a simple plan at first:

2 Likes

Yeah, at first.

1 Like