Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

All about books!

:point_up: Case in point.

Fixed. :grimacing:

I considered digging it out, but I already have a copy and that one is probably all grody now.

Same here. I’ve got a few books I’d like to get rid of, but throwing them away never occurred to me.
I mean, I’ve a hard time throwing away magazines. Last time we moved, I threw away a meter high stack of old newspapers :slight_smile:. Thought I’d still actually read them one day, but apparently not.

Could recycle them - that’s what the people who digitised books for me did…
Then they get to be turned into new, different books.

Or, you know, toilet paper maybe.

Now I’m picturing someone cutting out letters or words and re-arranging them into a new story.

Actually, the building I’m working in has an open bookshelf for people to deposit or pick up books. I’ve already abandoned a couple from my own stock on there (and they usually were gone within days, never to return) and even adopted a slim volume (Murakami, South of the border, West of the Sun). But I do not want to dump incomplete Fantasy series on there, where I am now wondering how I even managed to amass (much less read) the number of volumes I do own.

OTOH, last time I checked there were books printed in Bosnia and Herzegovina on there, in a language I couldn’t name without looking it up. So maybe some Terry Goodkind would not make things any worse …

Besides those being in some private-ish places, the city (Antwerp) also has some public stuff like that.

Same here, but before I could act they’d also established the rule that you couldn’t bring more books than you took away :smile:.

This beautifully bound and illustrated english translation of the Arabian Nights arrived today!

That looks beautiful indeed! And quite a welcome deviation from today’s cover art. It’s bad enough in Germany, but looking at books from the U.S., one wonders whether publishers have fired all their artists and have some MBA design the covers in PowerPoint using the included clip art instead.

I mean, just look at these!

And while one shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, that’s what I usually do, because that’s the first bit that catches my eye, before I open a page at random and read a paragraph or two.

My kids’ bookshelves are overflowing at the moment. And after every holiday they get even more crowded. I’m planning to sort through them and donate a box to the library. I’m really bad at getting rid of things, I get too sentimental. But if you donate to a library at least there’s a chance someone else might get some enjoyment out of it.

After I’ve read something once (or rarely twice) it tends to just sit on my shelf for decades… or more accurately, on the pile of books next to the shelf.

I’m assuming the translator is not one of Elizabeth Taylor’s seven husbands?!

Ran out of shelfspace, too. Huh?

Don´t think so…

grafik

Richard Francis Burton (1821 - 1890)

grafik

Richard Walter Jenkins Jr. AKA Richard Burton (1925 - 1984)

After finishing the Lyonesse Trilogy1 and Fritz Leiber’s Swords and Deviltry2 and Swords Against Death (conveniently contained in a single volume), I now moved on to the book stack posted somewhere above, starting with Josiah Bancroft’s Senlin Ascends. I’m not too far in yet, but I was barely able to put it away and go to sleep. It’s quite an atypical fantasy story, wonderfully Kafkaesque, beautifully written and gripping from page one.

1. All in all not bad, but suffering a bit from its mix of world-spanning political intrigues and personal adventure story. I very much liked the adventure parts, which got better and better with each volume, but not so much the remaining third of the narrative. And I thought that poor Melancthe had deserved better treatment.
2. Pretty grim, compared to the later entries (or maybe my memory does not serve me well).

Finished Senlin Ascends. Now I’m torn between buying the next volumes in English (meaning things will look ugly on the shelf) or waiting patiently for them to appear in German (with not even a release date available).

All in all, one of the most refreshing books I recently read. Towards the end, it lost a bit of its magic as the protagonist grew stronger, but it still managed to keep him constantly on edge and never on top of things.

Finished The Thorn of Dentonhill by Marshall Ryan Maresca. Straightforward Sword & Sorcery with an overpowered protagonist. Nothing I’d pick up by myself, but as a gift it was okay. It certainly wasn’t boring and neither appeared to be written by a 10 year old. Unlike Genevieve Cogman’s The Burning Page, which I thumbed through and decided it isn’t for me, gift or not.

Currently I read Terry Pratchett´s Mort and enjoying it immensely. Really thinking if I should start over with all the Discworld Novels and read all of them in order. Ah, but so little time…

Oh no! Don’t put these kind of ideas into ma heid!

I’ve been meaning to check those out. Equal Rites was the only one I remember, but it was really funny. My son was just gifted The Color of Magic. I might have to borrow that when he’s done.

Yeah, that´s the first one and a good one to start with. I read the first two ages ago. Mort is the 4th one and often named as one of the best.

Frankly, I don´t see anyone liking the humour of Kings Quest and Monkey Island and NOT enjoy Discworld.

I prefer Equal Rights to Mort. :slight_smile:

AFAIR The first books aren’t “connected” like the following books. They are set on the Discworld, but if I remember correctly, Rincewind is a different person in each of the first books. (The Discworld fans might correct me here. :slight_smile: )