Announcing a new Thimbleweed Park mini-adventure

There’s the illusion that everything is allowed.
How are the things going in India?

2 Likes

OMG!!!

Thank you Ron Gilbert!!!

2 Likes

Broadly speaking that’s a decent approach of course. But Dutch authorship (copyright) law, for example, says it applies to:

een werk van letterkunde, wetenschap of kunst

“A work of literature, science or art.” (See here.)

So then your unscrupulous businessman comes along and does something clearly against the spirit of the law. They’ll be taken to court, where they’ll claim a piece of software is none of those things. However, the court will probably side with the party arguing that even though it may not be strictly literature or art in exactly the sense as we presently understand it in 1980, it’s no different in principle. It’s only a theoretical gray area until someone forces it to become black or white.

It’s possible of course that as long as it’s just small scale stuff like kids exchanging floppies, everyone’s perfectly happy with it remaining a gray area. It’s just that 1992 sounds a bit late. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyway, your Honor, if there was a crime, it is now prescribed :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What? Wait! I take a bit of time off this weekend and now there is a new game (demo)??

Aaahh!!!

@Someone, let us know if you’re getting this on Steam or on Epic… :wink:

5 Likes

I set up a virtual machine and got it via Steam. I haven’t tried to start it without Steam, but I will do that next week. Or the week after next week. (I haven’t enough time! :weary:)

But I can definitely say that the game will run in a virtual machine with Linux as a host. :wink:

3 Likes

Wait, does my Windows 10 VM in VirtualBox support DirectX 12? Gah, I don’t want to install Steam to find out.

Yes, it does!

1 Like

Here is something to try… updated to the latest build on Steam. If you open in-game Options, in the lower right, it should say 86180 (or higher). Then quit and find the Prefs.json file and add

checkOSVersion: 0

This will stop the Windows build from checking for win10. Curious to see if this helps it run on win7/8 that has a fully patched dx12. It might also help with Linux windows emulators.

Odds are low, but it’s an interesting test. If the game doesn’t meet the dx specs, it will probably just crash.

Prefs can be found at AppData\Roaming\Terrible Toybox\Delores\Prefs.json You might need to create the file if it wasn’t created.

8 Likes

Not so great… Cases are surging… About 60 people infected in the nearby city… And I leave my house only to buy some groceries…
But thankfully I have more time to read for my exams now😁

2 Likes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH we love you! <3 Thank you and stay safe! <3 <3 <3

3 Likes

After your patch, I can at least see the error message:
immagine

adding checkOSVersion: 0

does nothing (I still see the same message).

I’m on windows 10, with a “nvidia quadro 600”, (supposedly supporting directx12) with nvidia drivers installed. I tried 3 versions:

397.64-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe
372.95-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe
377.83-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

1 Like

It’s likely not. The card is from 2010 supporting DirectX11. The drivers are from the “legacy” series, meaning: No new features.

/edit: And you need to install DirectX12 (which is not part of the driver). Is it available on your system?

3 Likes

Thank you Thank you Thank you !!! :slight_smile:

Hehehe I just finished the final puzzle after sleeping on it for a night (:cat:) and the ending’s pretty funny. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I finished it yesterday. Some of the puzzles were quite tough which surprised me for a short free game. My main frustration was that I could not save my game once I started a set of 5 photos. I would often get a bit tired after 3-4 in the set and want a break, but not want to restart the entire thing.

As a developer I know that implementing stuff like Loading/Saving is annoying so I have a feeling this was omitted for reasons like that and not because Ron et al thought it would be more fun this way.

I found the new pop-up interface worked well and I did not miss the verb bar. I would have liked to be able to click to skip dialogue as the . button is on the right side of my keyboard and awfully close to my mouse.

4 Likes

It looks like it’s installed… https://i.imgur.com/gESzb7C.png
I’ll try to play on the laptop tonight :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Guys do you realize what this means? there will be future games with this engine!! :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

6 Likes

Yes! And! I! Can’t! Wait! :smiley:

3 Likes

I had the same argument.
In a private conversation with Ron Gilbert, during the test phase, he answered me what he thinks about (it’s a general info, so it’s safe to make it public):

7 Likes