Collectors Box: Cover Art

Thing is, I like tonally inconsistent stuff and especially dark comedies. Stuff like The Burbs, The Monster Squad or even obvious stuff like Gremlins or Ghostbusters. I don´t even know where to put stuff like Twin Peaks or Fargo on that spectrum. But to me it was obvious that TwP was a comedy with dark undertones and not the other way around. There is just too much stuff that prevent me from seeing it as a dark detective story that has some jokes in it. One thing it is not like at all and is True Detective (which is also very funny at times but mostly really dark).

That´s an assumption I somehow don´t really like. And it´s not even true in my case as I played the games before ever seing the cover art. Yes I inititally played pirated copies before buying them later. Blame 4 year old me…

Well, regarding that this is a Kickstarter, Ron could have made a poll with the different styles and let the backer decide. But it is his game and I do fully understand his point of view: If you release pre-art into the internet, there are not only people complaining about it, some people will use it till your death. Just think of the press reviews and previews using the old art from the Kickstarter.

1 Like

Oh no, I totally support him standing by his decision, even if I don´t agree with it. I´m a grownup not the US president.

I think I said really everything I can say about this, so play me off Bob Diddley!

1 Like

The game has both funny and serious contents. It just depends on the personal feelings of the player whether the game appears to be rather funny or rather serious to him/her.
With the cover art, the author has the opportunity to provide an indication of the intended mood. For this reason we just should respect the team’s decision in this regard.

That’s a very reasonable decision!

On one hand, that box art evokes more of a fan-art feel to me, and doesn’t really seem to capture the mood of the game. Yet, somehow, I kinda like it. Also reminds me a lot of some game box art from those days that was a lot more detailed than the actual graphics of the game could ever hope to be. Just look at this box art for Another World (Out of this World) on the Sega for example.

And it’s cool how it somehow manages to capture the personalities of the 2 agents. To me it really feels like Rey is a more distant and more experienced person than the young Reyes next to her. Funny how one can gleam so much from mere silhouettes, or maybe I’m just seeing things that aren’t there because I already know these characters. Must say though, I can kinda see Reyes in that, but I don’t really recognise Ray in that image. I have the feeling she looks younger on the box art than ingame, mostly due to the different hairstyle.

Alright, I’m done overanalysing. :slight_smile:

I prefer the Super Nintendo version. I mean isn´t that great?

1 Like

I like that cover art, the only thing is Ray and Reyes’ heads need to be like 500% bigger.

1 Like

(Regarding the art in Ron’s PS4 tweet)

I want to pick that speck of dust…

I like the art. Who’s the artist?

Maybe the cover could’ve shown all the characters in foreground. And also the Mansion mansion on a hill in background, maybe in the right part of the cover. And there could’ve also been a big face of Chuck in the sky laughing maniacally. And maybe a meteor for some reason… But these are just some random ideas.

Good idea, but this cover would have to be a slide picture with a note on the side that says “remove annyoing in joke” that when you move it reveals the current cover.

2 Likes

Taaa-daa, fixed! Turns out the heads only needed to be 200% bigger.

7 Likes

That’s remarkable. Did the killed guy have microcephaly?

Sadly his head was simply pixelated beyond repair

2 Likes

Even though I would prefer facial features, this one is A LOT better, already.

Well, faces are notoriously hard to do, but I think I nailed it this time.
That’ll be $750, thanks.

3 Likes

You accept Cash Cards™?

1 Like

No, but I will accept specks of dust. at the current conversion rate of 1,000,000 specks of dust to the dollar.

No problem, I´m literally surrounded by real life specks of dust.

1 Like

Well, uhm, I have to admit that I like your version more than the original one.

I can lend you some dust bunnies, if necessary.

1 Like

BTW is it too late to add an option for vacuum cleaner sounds whenever you pick up a speck of dust? That would be hilarious…for like 5 minutes.