Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? šŸ‘½

As suggested in my post earlier in this thread, Rick and Morty is great (itā€™s not like every single episode is awesome but some of them are). Then thereā€™s space and after the void you can enjoy aspects from series like Legion or Westworld.

I thought Legion was amazingā€¦ the music especially added to that.

People also seem to love Black Mirror. I thought the Star Trek/Spacefleet episode was interesting.

I havenā€™t watched any more Dick since the first one, but

thatā€™s what I fear. Iā€™ll try and find out for myself, though.

In the meantime I highly recommend

though they are, apart from one episode, pretty grim, and made me start thinking too much about how some of the events could actually happen, the way the worldā€™s going (hence the title, I guess!)

The name of the show is Electric Dreams, youĀ“re doing this intentional arenĀ“t you?

is on my Netflix watchlist. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:angel:

Good! Curious to see what you think.

Be patient, though. ThereĀ“s a lot else I have to finish first.

My ā€œshows/seasons to watchā€ list is unusually long this year.

But IĀ“m glad there is a currently popular anthology show. Unnecessarily drawn out story arcs bore me fast.

Okay, sure!

[inner monologue]hurrumph[/inner monologue]

I could recommend you something you wonĀ“t start for another year in return. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

For me it felt too staged&artificial, I didnā€™t like the tone&feeling, the writing and camera. I wanted it to be more real&grown up, using their powers more often and see cool things happening, instead of walking around, sitting together and talking about stuff in boring ways. There were some nice moments though and I enjoyed Haller dealing with the ā€˜alienā€™. Episode 7 was good (like the blackboard scene). I generally prefer films or series with defined lengths, less the carrot-donkey-situations.

Yes, butā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, he was part of some of the good moments.

1 Like

Re: Philip KĀ“s Electric Dick Dreams:

Well itĀ“s probably in the nature of anthology shows that the quality varies. IĀ“ve seen 6 episodes so far and the last two especially episode six have been much better than the others.

So, at the moment I can recommend ā€œThe Hood Makerā€ and especially ā€œSafe and Soundā€. Good thing about Anthology shows is that you can skip the boring ones. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it gets betterā€¦
I watched the first 3 so far.
Really liked the first one and got me excited for the series because I like so many of the actors. But the next two werenā€™t as good IMOā€¦ maybe my expectations were too high. Or maybe the same kind of trick ending wears thin when repeated.

But I guess you can look at it like a book of short stories. Thereā€™s some OK filler that passes the time, but maybe one or two great ones that makes up for it.

Some of the ideas seem to dwarf compared to the more famous stories while also being similar.

I literally went a few times: ā€œOh thatĀ“s like Blade Runnerā€¦oh thatĀ“s like Total Recallā€¦oh thatĀ“s like Minority Reportā€¦but not as goodā€

But that terrorism paranoia episode was really great and makes me wonder how much it differs from the story that was written in the 50s (maybe that focused more on McCarthyism or something).

Yeah, i get the feeling these stories blew minds more when they came out. Now that weā€™ve been raised on movies based on PKD* stories itā€™s almost old hat.

*exercising full restraint not to make another shameless dā€”- joke.

1 Like

Noted! Itā€™s useful that theyā€™re all standalone episodes, otherwise I think Iā€™d be abandoning this pretty quickly.

So the episode The Commuter starring Timothy Spall (the manager in ā€œRock Starā€) was another good one. Featuring equal parts of the Twilight Zone episode A Stop at Willoughby (so much so at first that I expected it to turn out to be an exact remake) and elements of JacobĀ“s Ladder (not the resolution, though!).

So by 9 episodes the ratio of 3 good ones doesnĀ“t bode well for the entire series. IĀ“ll still watch the last one but this wouldnĀ“t get much more than 30% for the whole season (which I guess would equate to ā€œrottenā€).

1 Like

Itā€™s a shame they havenā€™t lived up to the (my?) hype. Iā€™ll watch those three on your recommendation but probably wonā€™t bother with the rest then.

I watched the final episode (Kill All Others) yesterday and it was also pretty good(making it 4 good ones vs. 6 ā€œmehā€ ones), but yeah you donĀ“t really need to bother with the others.

If you watch only one make it ā€œSafe And Soundā€ that one by far was the best.

In other news I finally completed watching all 156 episodes of the original Twilight Zone and that one remains a terrifc show that stood the test of time because it was so much ahead of itĀ“s own. Standing tall against most weird fiction itĀ“s still highly entertaining, thrilling and many of the morals still ring true.

Thanks, Iā€™ve made a list of those ones.

I should get round to watching those at some point too. It seems like a series I would enjoy.

Now I canā€™t get this out of my head

1 Like