Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? šŸ‘½

Phillip K DickĀ“s Electric Dreams is now on amazon prime. At least in germany. In the UK it seems to cost extra.

Thanks to @PiecesOfKate for drawing my attention to this! Looking forward to this!

My dad will be watching, too. HeĀ“s a huge Dick fanā€¦

ā€¦

:flushed:

ā€¦

Godamnit, why did he have to have such a name!

:joy: Now that Iā€™ve finished laughing out loud at thatā€¦

We get it on Amazon Prime Video here but I noticed it was on Sky Box Sets before that, which is useful. Been meaning to say watched the first one the other night, but wasnā€™t blown awayā€¦ I just didnā€™t feel that much for the characters.

Curious to see what you think.

I know what you mean they were a bit blend. Story wise it was so close to Total Recall that it seemed a bit like he might have plagiarized himself (if the original story is exactly like that).

Also the double and tripple twist was a bit redundant. I might have liked it more had it turned out that it acually was reversed and it was the guy who lived the alternate life and not the woman.

But letĀ“s see what the nine other episodes will be like. I think the third episode has Cranston himself in it, so IĀ“m looking forward to that one.

Oh yeah, that wouldā€™ve been much better! I think maybe the problem is after watching loads of Black Mirror this seems a bit weak in comparison, but he was writing longer ago.

Yeah I remember seeing that Cranston was in one. And Timothy Spall in another ā€“ a good British actor.

PS

Iā€™ve realised how I managed to quote spoiler text ā€“ highlight the text before and after it, then it picks it up :grinning:

1 Like

Coincidentally I watched the first episode of Electric Dreams last night before reading your postā€¦
Unless Iā€™m still dreaming and this is a lucid dream where Iā€™m checking the forums.

Check the clock does it show the time or a bunch of gibberish?

The fact that the software is a bit glitching at the moment (the stripes in the thread titles) may add to the surreal feelingā€¦:ghost:

I didnĀ“t read too much to be honest, although I got lots in my shelf. Blade Runner, A Scanner Darkly and Man In The High Castle, I think thatĀ“s about it.

If you are, youā€™re wasting your power. Fly! Walk through walls! Insert yourself into Thimbleweed Park!

Me neither ā€“ just A Scanner Darkly and some short stories I think. But because the episodes are based on those books theyā€™re probably a bit ā€˜slowā€™ compared to most modern series out at the moment.

Those were the only two Dick books I remember reading.

I like the stand-alone episode concept of the seriesā€¦ for once I was not tempted to binge after finishing the first episode. It was good though. Interested to see what Cranston does in episode 3.

This is going to happen a lot, isnā€™t it? Oh, what those discussions mustā€™ve been like at his publisherā€™sā€¦ Sorry, Iā€™ll grow up now.

3 Likes

He started itā€¦ :point_right: @milanfahrnholz

3 Likes

Maybe that particular euphemism isnĀ“t that old? Currently reading the Tales From The Crypt comics, Lovecraft and watching the Twilight Zone and there is so much ā€œgayā€ in it everywhere! Everyone was so happy back then and having a gay ole time!:grin:

1 Like

1 Like

When you thought that cigarette commercial was the weirdest thing youĀ“ve seen them inā€¦

Excuse me sir, I think those are called ā€œromance novelsā€!

Are you from Uruguay?
(And you should know the origin of that jokeā€¦ :wink: )

In Germany we have the funny word ā€œNackenbeiƟerā€ (= ā€œbite in the neckā€) for those books - because of the picture on the cover :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Is it just me or was the woman who played the guide robot in the AutoFac story hands down the best actress in that episode?

So I watched the ā€œCranston Episodeā€ the other night. While it wasnĀ“t great it was a whole lot better than the other two mainly because of Cranstons performance and Essie Davis who was already fantastic in The Babadook.

Does it happen to you when you call a line of dialogue to the letter? Near the end Cranston made long pause and I literally spoke aloud the sentence he would say next:ā€œIĀ“m afraid you wouldnĀ“t be able to pronounce itā€ I laughed so hard at that I had to high five myself once again.

However I still feel that every episode so far has dragged for itĀ“s runtime and I belive the stories would work better for episodes of half the lenght.

(Plan 9 from Outer Space)
I think I wrote about that game here twice already. Years ago I loved it, itā€™s unique. Itā€™s not based on the movie, rather inspired by it and other works of Ed Wood. Gameplay is old school adventure (first person though), the mood and setting is unlike anything else Iā€™ve played. Itā€™s one of my fav memories when it comes to Amiga games. For people who like 50ā€™s / 60ā€™s sci-fi, cold war paranoia and weird humor, it should be mandatory.

1 Like

The Dick series is crap. New and exciting content is rare, either itā€™s sequels, spin-offs or based on ideas brought up decades before (and then itā€™s often dumbed down, looking cheap and feeling completely wrong). The last Spiderman was fun but why couldnā€™t he produce his own web anymore?

You could go into Wind River. Thatā€™s a very good movie (and it involves running too).

The latest Star Wars, Marvel, Alien ā€¦ thatā€™s just so low. Why would you want to pay for this confused space bum Luke like bullshit, they started to produce after The Empire strikes Back, in order to sell toys and stuff anymore? Iā€™m curious about what Tarantino will come up with.

I was hoping not to read that. Disappointing. Hasnā€™t been a good sci-fi TV series in a while ā€¦