Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? 👽

Yeah, Shut Up and Dance is very disturbing. It left me feeling quite unsettled. You are tricked into empathizing with a character who, if you just heard about in the news, you would just write off as scum of the earth. Cleverly done, though. Makes looking back at the earlier sweet scene with the child in the restaurant almost sickening.

I really enjoyed Nosedive and San Junipero. Nosedive is one of those tragic endings which is really a happy ending, and I thought San Junipero’s depiction of a man-made afterlife was very unique and thought provoking.

1 Like

Yeah, the thing I´ve been thinking about is: “What if those servers ever shut down?” Most likely this isn´t guaranteed eternity afterall.

1 Like

I really liked the movement of the dogs. It wasn’t overdone and was the perfect creepy combo of a natural animal and lithe robotics. Based on those actual dog robots, apparently.

Re the ending, I assumed she’d reached her end because a bit of the detecting shrapnel was stuck in her jugular. Leave it and get caught, or remove it and die. Or do you mean the Teddy bears? I think we’re meant to think that’s what they were after for the little kid (kind of sucks they risked everything for that. Stupid kid).

So have you just got Black Museum to watch?

Aw. Never mind.

At one point I jumped with joy because it genuinely looked like it was done with classic stop motion animation, but that impression didn´t last very long.

Oh, okay so I understood both those aspect correctly then.

Nope, seen that too. That was like several stories at once for a finish. One segment totally felt like a classic Cronenberg movie, turned out that was the part written (or inspired by?) Penn Jilette!

Yeah, moving on to other things now.

That’s part of why it made me think of The Cave :slight_smile:

I had to look him up then realised it’s that Penn, heh.

Did you spot the lollipop from US Callister?

Oh because of the trinkets!

Yeah other than his partner he actually has a surname. :slight_smile:

I didn´t but they made a clear reference to the plot of San Junipero, was just a short remark but I thought that was nice.

1 Like

Lately I’m in the mood for some old, B-style sci-fi TV.

I’m inspired by @milanfahrnholz to give The Twilight Zone a go (uh oh, here comes that earworm again), but it’s not free on Netflix or Amazon Prime. There is, however, the film The Twilight Zone: Rod Serling’s Lost Classics, which is based on two stories. The reviews are a bit shit though.

I just watched an episode of Tales of the Unexpected, which I know isn’t sci-fi but the style is similar. It actually wasn’t a very good one, though. An adulterous millionaire decided to off his wife, then the twist was that she decided to have him killed too. Now, unless I missed something, that’s not much of a twist.

I’ve read most of the original Dahl stories and they’re mostly really good, except that one. And I guess they don’t all translate well to TV.

A while ago I watched most of The Outer Limits 1995 revival, which was good. So maybe I should watch the original series now.

Any recommendations welcome!

Yup, that´s the reason why I got myself that fancy boxset. And people say streaming services make physical media obsolete pffft.

I haven´t seen that James Earl Jones hosted late adaptation either, don´t think it´s a good place to start.

Have you seen “Twilight Zone: The Movie” which adapts 4 old episodes into an anthology film directed by John Landis, Joe Dante, Steven Spielberg and George Miller?

As for the original Outer Limits I still need to check that out, too. There is two interesting things about that. There are two episodes that are so close in plot to the first Terminator film that there was a succesful lawsuit to have the writers name included in that movie´s ending credits.

The other interesting episode would be the one that brought the popular image of the grey aliens into our culture by most likely having inspired the “visons” of a “real life abuducted” couples recollections of their kidnappers.

Have you ever seen that show that´s said to be the main inspiration for the X-Files? Nightstalker or something? Know almost nothing about that one.

Can you or @milanfahrnholz recommend some really old good Sci-Fi movie or TV series? I think of those made in black and white (maybe from the 1920s onward to, let’s say, the 1960s)?

Well that would obviously be the Twilight Zone made from 1959 to 1964 all in black in white. Aired in germany under different titles like Unwahrscheinliche Geschichten or Geschichten die nicht zu erklären sind.

With 1920s you´re going really far back because there was no TV around at the time but movie serials like Phantom Creeps or Commando Cody, both of which were aired as shorts before Mystery Science Theater 3000, but I wouldn´t call those good in the traditional sense.

I think proper amerian television should start in the post war era like the 50s and 60s I think in the 70s no b/w TV was produced in the states anymore.

Another thing about genre TV is that in part shows were produced very early in colour because in the 50s and 60s colour was considered for “entertainment” while “serious” movies and TV shows were still produced in black and white (and possibly because arthouse stuff had smaller budgets).

I´m getting a bit carried away, I´m sorry.

I find it interesting to see how the people in the 1920s up to the 60s imagined the future. In Germany we had for example “Raumpatroullie Orion”. But I can’t remember that I’ve ever watched movies or series from America and/or the UK. Only cartoons like this:

Later we got Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek (Enterprise).

I might have watched Unwahrscheinliche Geschichten (that sounds familiar) and I have watched “Plan 9” - but I can’t remember anything else.

Don´t forget we had Metropolis in 1927 when SciFi movies in the US weren´t even a thing, yet.

Tempted to do the same if I don’t end up buying it digitally. Plus it’s nice having them to look at.

Nope. It’s available, but again not free.

Coincidentally I read earlier that another, more accurate term for ‘twilight zone’ is ‘terminator’. #funfactSunday

Oh yeah, that’s Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I think that’s one of the few X-Files inspirations I’ve not seen, so it’d be a good one to tick off. It’s only one series but they did a reboot off the back of The X-Files’ success. Added to the list!

I’ve not watched that much really old stuff. I can only think of The First Men in the Moon but wouldn’t exuberanty recommend it :wink:

2 Likes

I think I´ve linked to my movie collection earlier in this thread so you can see I´ve seen tons of old stuff. :slight_smile:

One reason I´ve built a collection of older movies is because they stopped being shown on TV all the time and now only appear on pay per view channels I don´t have and aren´t available to stream anywhere.

Shouldn´t that be the other way around?

Terminator could be an excellent Twilight Zone episode if it was told more from Sarah Connor´s perspective and we wouldn´t no more what she does, that way who is who would be more of a twist because at the beginning Kyle Reese seems equally untrusworthy to her and it would only be prooven later that the T800 really is a machine and that they´re from the future.

1 Like

Not according to Wikipedia:

1 Like

Ha! That would have been a great text for the show´s introduction!

…

In this space would have been a picture of Rod Serling with half a T800 exoskeleton face but alas sometimes google image search doesn´t have everything you´re looking for…

1 Like

I never realized that was a real thing…

After seeing another definition of it:
2. the lowest level of the ocean to which light can penetrate.

I think Finding Nemo is ripe for a Twilight Zone parody :smile:

:tropical_fish: :fish: :cyclone:

2 Likes

Many of the early Simpsons Treehouse of Horror Episodes were direct Twilight Zone spoofs so @PiecesOfKate already knows more stories than she probably realises.

1 Like

I’m tempted to buy the first few episodes online and see if I like 'em.

1 Like

Yep! (But I still have to watch it…)

So Germany seems to be the Sci-Fi-film-country until the 1970s… :slight_smile: