Favourite theme songs from our childhood TV shows

We had Ninja Turtles in Dutch.

@sushi : in the italian intro of Nils Holgerssons, there is a narrator who says:
“This is the tale of a boy like you. Since he was cruel with animals, one day, a gnome, with a sorcery, made him little little. His name is… Nils Holgerssons

That was a little scary, I remember.
This tale is very popular in Sweden, Norway, Finland.

1 Like

I don’t remember whether I ever watched the last episode of this series, but I vaguely remember watching the first one in which Nils is indeed a very bad and unlikable annoying boy. I started reading the book when I was little, to learn how it all ended… but I stopped after a couple of chapters :frowning:

2 Likes

This sticks in my mind quite a bit. I always wanted to go on Funhouse, especially to do the go-kart bit at the end.

All the boys used to fancy the twins.

2 Likes

That reminds me of the Banana Splits show… but I didn’t like them, not even as a child.
They were too… hmmm… stupid? I mean the Banana Splits, not the Fun House.

1 Like

Another funny cartoon theme song that is still stick in my mind, is the outro of “The Monkey”, the anime by Osamu Tetzuka called “Goku no Daiboken” (which inspired also Dragon Ball).
This was the earworm theme:

2 Likes

At least they’re not Bananas In Pajamas…

1 Like

Oh gosh… “The banana in the striped pyjamas…”

2 Likes

Peanut butter jelly time!

3 Likes

I’ve only ever seen the Family Guy reference to that, but this version’s much better :grin:

peanut-butter-jelly-with-a-baseball-bat!

2 Likes

It’s the original afaik. I’m not sure by how many years it predates the '05 Family Guy reference to it.

Oh right, I wondered that. It’s extremely catchy!

1 Like

It says here it’s from '02, which jives with my memory. It’s definitely from before I moved out.

1 Like

Are you kidding me? Chuck the Beaver was dark AF! His mother was dead and he was delusional about ever seeing here again. And there were constant threats of violence and difficult life decisions. I watched it tons at a kid but my mum was never fond of me doing that because she thought it was a tad to dark.

The one where Brian tries to cheer up Peter by dressing up and doing that bit, right? Yeah I think that was the first time I saw that one, too.

That baseball bat part also reminds me of

Well, we also got the censored version in germany where every use of Mikey´s Nunchucks was removed and several movies that had the word in it where also retitled like the Michael Dudikoff film series “American Ninja” was renamed to “American Fighter” which is really odd since those movies where “18 and up” anyway and not aimed towards children.

1 Like

Since you’re the resident expert on animal shows, do you know one about… I think squirrels… getting high on mushrooms? Or was that part of “The Alert Wood” (Het wakkere woud; Dutch title of Farthing Wood)?

Oh, I remember that his mother was dead, but Chuck was happy with his friends, they had adventures, friendship, and sometimes disappointments. It was all but dark, or violent.

My mom didn’t want me to watch the robots (Goldrake, Mazinga, Gundam, Jeeg…), because there was only violence at her eyes.
But I didn’t care and watched them anyway :wink:
And I’ve grown without having violence in my mind or in my usual behaviour…

1 Like

It wasn´t violent but there were lots of really serious problems in it and it wasn´t always happy. Maybe she just thought I was too young for something like that at age 4 or 5.

My mother also didn´t like Masters Of The Universe and Lord Of the Rings because of all the monsters. But she learned to accept my fascination.

2 Likes

Ahh, I was in my 10 already :blush:

In my childhood that was valid for Captain Future…