For those who've completed the game, what was the hardest puzzle?

It’s actually quite clear that Franklin can interact with objects, as long as they use electricity or have water. And phones do use electricity.

I thought I had to call the manager with a character, and I did so - with an agent. The manager said “you’re not the obscene caller”, making it clear that I needed to be obscene. So I called him with Ransome, but he said something like “the obscene caller isn’t insulting me, he’s always moaning”. Maybe it wasn’t that obvious in the beginning, but the game gives enough hints to make you understand you have to use Franklin.

1 Like

But that’s not actually how it works in the game. If you are standing in front of the trampoline and you want to pull, the character moves to the other side and pushes. There’s a cognitive dissonance there, even if the final result is the same.

-dZ.

True, I didn’t remember it like that. After reading your post I loaded an old game and tried it again.

Now I can agree with @Evan that it is weird. If pushing and pulling were relative to where the character is facing it would be OK, but being relative to right or left doesn’t look like very reasonable.

It’s actually quite clear that Franklin can interact with objects, as long as they use electricity or have water. And phones do use electricity.

And I’m old enough to know that analogue phones don’t work unless you physically pick them up, but let’s say for sake of argument that he can use the phone by bypassing the connection somehow. I still don’t think the puzzle is a very good one, when there is obviously another puzzle that clearly state that for him to communicate with the outside world he need the white crystal. It contradicts the phone call puzzle. But hey, we’ll just have to agree to disagree :wink:

1 Like

I think there’s a difference between “talking” and doing usual ghostly haunting stuff like moaning and booing and crying. It makes perfect sense in cartoon-logic.

Not to mention that an old phone works by picking up the receiver just because it frees a switch… which is an electrical device :stuck_out_tongue: if we REALLY want to be fussy, we could say Franklin is able to bypass it, interacting directly with the inner circuitry.

I can see why you didn’t like the puzzle, but it wasn’t that absurd.

Why stop there? Explain to me the magical logic of a vacuum tube that enables advanced AI. And while you’re at it, How does one start a fire by ingesting hot sauce?

Paraphrasing MST3k: repeat to yourself, “it’s just a game, I should really just relax.” :slight_smile:

-dZ.

1 Like

Whaaat, don’t adventure games always make sense? That would explain why my pet monkey is a really bad wrench I guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m finding comfort in that I’m not alone though, one friend figured out the puzzle by accident and another one had to resort to a hint guide to solve it. I think the white crystal is root of the problem for us, that puzzle A state one set of rules and puzzle B break them. If when moaning with Franklin the people around him in the hotel would state something like “what is that moaning sound coming from?”, or something. I don’t know. I’m sure some people make the connection at once and have no problem with it, but our long time adventure game damaged brains just can’t work with it.

2 Likes

You can haunt (moan, cry) people all you want and they won’t hear you. For some reason it only works through the phone. I got stuck on the same puzzle. It’s not cartoon logic, it’s a flaw to me.

2 Likes

As I understood it, because Franklin is able to manipulate electricity, that is why he can be ‘heard’ through the phone.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the same reasoning I did back then, 'cause in analog telephones voice is “modulated” troughout electromagnetic impulses.

If so, he should speak normally through a phone as well. This is a really strange concept - a ghost that can haunt people, but only through a phone? It would be a funny story actually, but with some setup.

He can manipulate electricity to some extend which may be enough to get some moaning across the phone, but modulating proper voices is a different thing.

But we could now criticise he should have used this to communicate with Delores :slight_smile:
E.g. it shouldn’t be a problem for her to figure out Morse codes.

But, and that actually is a shocking revelation: The Edmund Mansion, despite having a phone is not in the phone book!!!

1 Like

Oh I’m pretty sure he knows the number.

Younger generations cannot imagine this but back in those days we actually had a lot of numbers memorised :slight_smile:

Yup, I still know the number of my childhood friend even now. Though that was a home number and those are of course much shorter than cellphone numbers (I don´t remember a single one not even my own).

The numbers here are actually the same length when excluding the area / mobile provider code.

Oh really? We have like 5 digits in the city and you don´t need the predial if you´re in the same place. So I only had to remember like 5 digits for everyone I knew from my town.

We have 7 digits so there was no real difference to mobile phone numbers (and those bunch of mobile prefixes are easy to remember).

I had trouble with the puddle puzzle. I knew I had to put the radioactive waste on it, but I didn’t consider the math trophy because in Delores’ flashback she refused to pick it up. Did someone have the same problem? Since I haven’t read anyone, I guess I must have clicked on the wrong pixel.

I also guess you must have missclicked since it can be picked up during the flashback since the first release version.

1 Like