German Thimbleweed Park Fans auf Deutsch

I love german language since I seen Indiana Jones… :slight_smile: always, tried to practice it for voice overs but its so hard… my tongue was twisting. (sorry, off your topic)

Oh that “german” those british guys speak is just lovable isn´t it?

If you want to learn “proper” German from movies/TV you should watch the The Blacklist episode where this clip comes from:

But don’t be fooled by this particular clip, they actually speak a really decent and understandable German in this clip as opposed to the rest of the episode.

1 Like

Other great german learning clips:

Seriously though, the german in Inglorious Basterds is excellent. Mostly because it´s spoken by actual german actors. Except Fassbender he sucks, but that´s important for the plot.

[quote=“patrik3dspacek, post:21, topic:209”]
I love german language since I seen Indiana Jones…
[/quote]You should be aware that Germans in movies or video games speak very bad German most of the time, unless it was produced in German.

Also German dubbings in movies vary a lot in quality. While there are certainly very good ones, there are also many which have poorly translated sentences, no one would use in reality. You should keep that in mind.

For real German, you should try some productions which have German as the native language. Try some Daedalic Entertainment adventures for instance (except Alcatraz, which was written in English). Most of them are multi-lingual, so you can switch to the English translation at any time.

2 Likes

What I never understood is why Hollywood et similia can’t get native speaker actors for some roles. Also the Italian you hear in the movies, or even when someone is portraying an Italian speaking in English with Italian accent, is ridiculous to the ear of an Italian native. And I don’t think there are few Italians in America.

Anyway, the best way of learning German is going to Germany :stuck_out_tongue: or Switzerland, but be sure they actually speak German to you, or you’ll end up learning their own Swiss language and nobody will understand you

[quote=“Guga, post:26, topic:209”]
What I never understood is why Hollywood et similia can’t get native speaker actors for some roles.
[/quote]I guess, they simply don’t care. They want to sound it foreign, and that’s it.
But indeed, they could just dub the lines with someone in Hollywood speaking the required language.
Even if he’s not a good actor, it probably would sound better than the actor trying. Obviously, they don’t think that it’s worth the effort.

[quote=“Guga, post:26, topic:209”]
Anyway, the best way of learning German is going to Germany :stuck_out_tongue: or Switzerland, but be sure they actually speak German to you, or you’ll end up learning their own Swiss language
[/quote]Or any other dialect for that matter. They say, you’ll get the most dialect free German from Hanover.

Sometimes, they also do dialect or accents on movie dubs, but that’s rare. The most strange of that I’ve seen is Broomhilde in Robin Hood - Men in Tights. She sounds like Dutch or Hamelner Platt, which doesn’t even count as German language.

Among the best dubbings is the original Star Trek show, imho. which even does appropriate accents. At least true for the voice acting and the directing. Unfortunately, they didn’t work on the uncut version on several episodes, and there are also some severe translations bloopers. They patched that quite noticeable since the DVD release. The subtitles are a different translation, thus unfortunately not suitable to help recognizing the spoken words.

I believe the first time I saw the original series were the reruns they showed around the time that Next Generation was new. Now at the time I certainly didn´t see all the episodes but years later then they showed it again many episodes where patched with McCoy and Kirk constantly changing voices. It wasn´t so bad with McCoy because they gave him the same voice he had in the movies, but Kirk was just terrible. Then again they also replaced Picard´s voice actor during the run of the show, and I never knew why that happened.

Hi. One question:
Was “The Secret of Monkey Island” marketed in Germany like that, or was it sold as “Das Geheimnis der Affeninsel”?
Thanks!

It was the early 90, by that time a greater tendency to leave english titles as they are had developed (it started as early as the late 60s early 70s with titles like Easy Rider). These days only very few film and game titles are translated into german anymore. As for video games titles usually weren´t translated (since games weren´t translated most of the time, Monkey Island and others being an exception). I don´t think I can think of one game that has a german title, off the top of my head…

It´s always been The Secret Of Monkey Island in germany.

2 Likes

“Full Throttle” was translated with “Vollgas”.

There are rumours, that the reason for this was, that “Full Throttle” sounds like “Volltrottel” (= “complete idiot”/“dickhead”)

/edit: The cover looked like this:

4 Likes

Oh yes, I forgot about that!

They also turned one of those Cameron Diaz/Drew Barrymore/Lucy Liu Charlies Angels films from the 2000nds which had “Full Throttle” in the title into “Volle Power” or something.

1 Like

Oh and they also translated the titles of the two new South Park games (which is funny especially with the latest one).

“Larry 7: Yacht nach Liebe” is another example.

1 Like

In general, subtitles are more likely to be translated.

However it still is Monkey Island 2: LeChuck´s Revenge and Sam and Max: Hit The Road in germany.

1 Like

Die Verrückte Villa
Zak McKracken und die Ausserirdischen Verstandverbieger
Webstuhl
Das Geheimnis der Affeninsel
Das Geheimnis der Affeninsel 2: Le Chucks Rache
Indiana Jones und das Schicksal von Atlantis
Der Tag des Tentakels
Sam und Max gehen auf Achse
Die Grabung
(Vollgas)
Der Fluch der Affeninsel
(I just found that that MI4 indeed has been translated to “Flucht von Monkey Island”)
Fingerhutkraut Park

2 Likes

Boris hat dies hier erklärt:

Kurzfassung:
Franklins Verben enden alle auf -e (Stöhne, Klage, Zappe, …). Boris wollte dieses Schema dann über alle Charaktere hinweg konsistent halten.

1 Like

I like that! May I use that term for my own adventure? :wink:

Hm… That sounds familiar. Wasn’t that translation actually used somewhere?

If it´s a remake and you use that term to avoid legal issues.

Not that I know of.

It’s the official German name according to Wikipedia.