How is the weather (right now)

There are actually some puns with the syllable “-gas”. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t matter in the example. :wink:

It’s “Daniels’ Saloon” according to the Duden.

1 Like

Only of us can be right. Like Cary Grant and Walter Matthau at the end of Charade…

2 Likes

:wink: (Great movie, btw.)

For the records: The grammar rule is explained here (German page) in the paragraph “Verwendung des Apostrophs (2)”.

1 Like

Well…at least we´re not talking about maths…:exploding_head:

1 Like

the accents are on yes and way, so that doesn’t make any sense.

To me they’re on yes and far.

But either way, putting one on day would mess it up.

I can´t let this pass without mentioning that the original lyric (well at least what he sung to himself when he came up with the melody) was “scrambled eggs”.

I would put the stress on the “scram-” and the “eggs”.

1 Like

Not quite…
https://goo.gl/images/4fvgbJ

1 Like

Hehe, indeed. :slight_smile: But would I bet that there isn’t a cloud in that shape. :wink:

But I believe yours might be the one his avatar is modled after.

Musically, yes, because of the beat , but if you just read the words. Or the single word “away”?
Anyway, I fully agree. I can’t even imagine what yesterDAY sounds like. Does your colleague also say MonDAY, TuesDAY,…?

Oh I see, yeah I guess it depends if we’re talking about singing or reading. I was mainly just looking for an excuse to prove her wrong :wink:

That’s a good question actually… I don’t think she does.

1 Like

In Dutch, there is actually an apostrophe in some plurals like “foto’s” “auto’s”. Writing either without would change the pronunciation (and or make it look and sound like a Spanish word).

CDs and DVDs are correctly spelled as cd’s and dvd’s (note the lower case too)
CD-ROMs is spelled cd-roms though…
There is a system to it though.

Point at her loudly shouting “Hah! Hypocrite alert!!!” That is always popular, I made some of my best friends that way…

NOT!

1 Like

So you should start doing that to her… until she says that’s not the way you should pronounce days and then SMACK! you go “oh, but you can call it yesterDAY?”

1 Like

That happens in English sometimes too if the reader doesn’t know the context. I guess that’s the downside and also what makes people put apostrophes in incorrectly.

Ooh that’s weird!

Is it dependent on the sound of the last letter? So if it’s a closed sound (like ROM) there’s no need for an apostrophe, but if it’s an open vowel sound like DVD[ee]s there is?

Wow, I better make sure you guys never meet her :laughing:

1 Like

I second the question. :slight_smile: @Sushi: Can you explain that a little bit?

Yes indeed. If you read it letter by letter and the end sound is a vowel, you need to write an apostrophe. ROM is read as a one sylable word and it ends with a consonant, so there is no apostrophe.
I can’t think of a nastier example right now where the last letter is a consonant that ends with a vowel sound when pronounced letter by letter.

What’s more confusing is that the diminutive form of auto’s and cd’s is: autootjes and cd’tjes
We just like to make Dutch a hard language to learn. :smile:

2 Likes

Hey! We Germans have a patent on that technique. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like