How is the weather (right now)

Hardly. In German, the exceptions to the rule never outnumber the examples of the rule.

1 Like

Or our rules regarding conjugating of English verbs are a real piece of mindblowing WTFs.
I have updated = ik heb geüpdatet (the last T being silent on top, so like ge-update)
I have texted = ik heb ge-sms’t
I have attached the updated document = ik heb het geüpdatete document geattacht (again here, the word geüpdatete is pronounced like the English updated without the end “d”)

So you mix Dutch with English?

Yes, mostly in speaking language, but some English words, typically IT related words, just don’t have a Dutch word (like download, update,…) or they’re so far-fetched no-one ever uses them.

And yes, the Dutch grammar rules are applied to the infinitive form of the English verb, which leads to all these strange mixed constructions

That’s interesting because in German we have synonyms for a lot of IT related words, including the both you mentioned (download = “herunterladen” and update = “aktualisieren”).

Yeah, we have “opslaan” and “bewaren” but usually just say “save”.
Whereas ou say “speichern (auf Featplatte)” if I’m not mistaking.
Goes all the way back to the sumerian cuneiform?

Today, Apr 17 in Detroit. Not a joke.

6 Likes

They say climate change hits those countries who cut the research funds first…

3 Likes

MyLocation Park, right now.

3 Likes

In Detroit was (or is?) snowy weather while in Europe we have 30 degrees (Celsius)… Odd.

Another day of wonderful weather! On the hill near my house, blossom is starting to appear on the trees.

7 Likes

Same here, it’s lovely isn’t it? 24°C here today!

2 Likes

Yesterday evening, after another hot day of 27 degrees Celsius or so (we broke several April records this year) , I was reading a book outside after sundown. That half hour between sundown and the moment it gets too dark to read is my favourite: a blackird atop of a nearby tree was improvising songs and bats were circling around the house as if trying to set new lap records.
Obviously, I didn’t get a lot of reading done.

5 Likes

MyLocation Park. Chair.

1 Like

It’s tiny! :open_mouth:

You should check out some of the chairs in the famous torture chamber of my hometown…

grafik

1 Like

The wooden chair of MyLocation Park can host my backside perfectly :grin:

3 Likes

Is this where you tell us that you were a 2D sprite this whole time? :wink:

3 Likes

4 Likes

Hehe, yeah what the right angle can do, right? I mean this was taken near a McDrive at the intersection of two very busy streets and it wasn´t even as dark yet as the photo makes it look like. But the picture sure looks nice, doesn´t it? :wink:

2 Likes